News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Electric trouble with HO set

Started by goharris, December 26, 2008, 08:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goharris

we bought our 7 Yr old an HO set with "EZ tracks". It worked for about an hour, then we shut it off, and un-plugged the transformer. Later we plugged it back in, and the train would not move. The light on the controller lights, I tested the track with a voltage meter and it doesent seem to be getting any, I did try unplugging everything and waiting for a breaker to re-set. ???
Thank-you for any help or hint you could provide!

Jhanecker2

If you have a VOM, disconnect the transformer from the track and turn on the transformer and check the output of the  DC  and AC  terminals to see if you have Voltage across the terminals .  Then check the the cable for continuity of each of the wires.   If you have a tranformer with ouput and the  powercable is functional .  Reconnect the wire to the DC terminals. You then check to see if your track is electrically continuous . Also check to see if your track is short circuited . Check to see if you are properly mechanically connected with rails inserted into the track joiners and not on top of the joiners. Run your hand on top of the rails to make sure there are no bumps. Also make sure that the cables are fully connected to the transformer and the terminal track .   It would also help to know what trainset you purchased , the product number is on the exterior of the box.

goharris

Thank-you, we found a nice hobby store and the owner tested all the pieces. We found it was a bad track/controller connection, and he replaced the piece! Hobbytown in Fairfield, CT, I recommend them highly!

Thank-you for the help.

Conductor Phillip