News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax-Not working-

Started by rockpileava, December 27, 2008, 01:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richG

I am glad to hear that. Here are some links from a Google search. The second one looked promising.
I did not look at anymore. It should keep you busy for a little while.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=spectrum+climax+gears&btnG=Search

You might even try searching for spectrum climax shay gears. There can be a lot of information on the 'Net that many people are not aware of or give up too easily.

Good luck in your venture. Be sure to share you success or attempts at success with the community. You can never tell how things like this might inspire someone.

Rich

Birdog

Rock,
I had a similar issue with my Shay, stopped completely after a few runs this year but lights would work. I torn it down, connected it directly to the power pack and it would not run without help, a spin of the wormgearing. I have consulted with many and have come to the conclusion the motor is shot. However, I was asked if it had been stored in a basement or garage. I said yes and was told that the internal workings of the motor, specifically the armature, were dirty because it had been "exposed" to heat and humidity. I was instructed to try some plastic compatible contact cleaner. This is stuff used by audio geeks to clean their stereo receivers. I got mine at Radio Shack and gave it a try. Well it did improve my performance but 50% of the time the motor would not run without help. I e-mailed Bachmann to ask if they had replacements and received and very prompt reply (shocking I know) saying the replacement motor was $20 + $5 shipping. Needless to say it's on its way to be put in my Shay.
I also looked into re-motoring it with a NWSL motor. That is another option since you have a rare commodity in the Climax. I have one too and I am holding my breath with it after reading the boards. Anyway, NWSL was very helpful in tips on what I needed to do to get a replacement. It is a bit involved and would be more expensive, i.e. the Motor, the tools to measure the size you need, the tools to put the parts together, soldering, etc, etc. But you do have that option.
Remember don't give up!
Birdog

rockpileava

I am back and pleased to report that my 9 year old now has a working Climax engine... after a great deal of work. 

Based upon my tests, I assumed that the motor was burned out.  I wrote a short email to Bachmann trains what they could do and within 48 hours of writing the email I received a followup call from Bachmann.  They offered to either replace the engine with a Shay or to sell me a new motor.  I chose the new motor.

Replacing the motor took a little under an hour.  It was immediately apparent that replacing the motor solved one problem but revealed another.  The tappered gear on the front drive shaft spun on the spline because the many of the gears on the front truck were binding against each other.

For the next 3 hours I cleaned each gear in the front truck assembly and glued each tapered gear to its driveshaft.  Two of the gears had split on the rotating axis and had to be glued together before they could be placed back on the drive shafts.  Boy, the things we do for love.

Well, the engine is now working and all eight wheels are driving.  My 9 year old now has his geared loco collection of a Shay, Heisler and Climax.  Now keeping them all running is another story.