DCC Locomotive Activates Without Being Selected

Started by WGL, December 28, 2008, 02:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?
  My Intermountain F7A-B DCC with sound activate (lights & sounds come on) when I turn on my E-Z Command Control--even if I have not selected their address! Each of  my other 3 DCC locomotives remains dormant until I select its address & move the throttle from zero.  I've even tried switching to a different address before turning off my system, so that when I turn it on, the F7 address is not selected.  Consequently, the F7A-B are the only units I can't store on my layout without their sounds & lights running.  Can you explain why this is so?  Is there any way I can deactivate them while I run another train?

I just queried Intermountain about this, but I am curious whether or not anyone else has had this problem.

Yampa Bob

Whenever I apply AC power to my EZ Command, the Tsunami in my AC4400 "clicks" once, but no sound until I address it and turn up the throttle. The default for the decoder is sound on, lights off. Once the throttle is advanced to start the engine, if throttle is turned all the way down again, the engine still idles.   

Function 8 turns the sound off on mine, and F10 turns the lights on or off. Have you tried that? Also, when I first power up my EZ Command, the default address is always #1.

It seems your decoder remembers the last setting, whereas the Tsunami always returns to the default each time track power is first turned on. I'm not sure, but it may require a CV change for the default sound on or off.

Others may comment on that.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

hotrainlover

Both of my Lionel's do that.  When I turn on the power, they have lights, and the sound is on.  I press the loco # on, then put it in function mode; all I have to do is press #8, and the sound goes off.  Some of the lights have NEVER turned off...  I just thought that was the way it was with them.....

Yampa Bob

I am very pleased with the Tsunami, everything works the way I want with no surprises or glitches.  I rarely run the 4400 more than half throttle, I did turn it on full last night and clocked it at 140 mph with 15 cars. 

With the two in consist, they pulled my force gauge off the scale, equal to about 90+ cars.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

I can turn the sound off my Intermountain F7A-B by pressing F8; pressing F10 turns off only some of the lights.  The default for my other 3 DCC locos is lights off.  I hate to burn the lights when not running the train.  I'm not eager to experience replacing lights.

Wow, 140!  It appears that you don't have scaled down speed on your 4400.  I doubt either of my Spectrum SD-45s will reach 100 mph running alone.  I have my UP SD-45 pulling 15 cars, a 10' foot train, at a top speed of about 75.  I've added freight to the cars & have some that are less than optimal rollers (plastic wheels & couplers mounted on trucks).   Does your 4400 run faster on DC than on DCC?  I must get a stop watch.

Hunt

The Quantum decoder for diesel in your F7 is functioning per its CVs settings.

Instructions for another decoder are not going to help you and may just add to any misperceptions or erroneous expectations you may have.

Do not use the instructions for Band X decoder to try to operate Band Y decoder.
Do not use the instructions for Band X version 1 decoder to try to operate Band X version 2 decoder.

Turn to the DCC Operation section of the Operation Manual included with your locomotive. Reread careful, take your time.

Notice the section,
Three Stages of Diesel Locomotive Shut Down: 1. Disconnect, 2. Standby, 3. Total Shut Down

Bachmann DCC E-Z Command Control Center unit does not have the capability to activate function 9 (F9) on any decoder.

WGL

Here's the reply I received from Intermountain:

"Each DCC system operates a bit different and each sound decoder operates a bit different.

Most systems will continue to send packets of information to the decoder once it is programmed into the command station. This is why the InterMountain F7AB units sound when you power up the system and stay on when you park them. It sounds like your system does continue to send packets.

As for the other units not starting up or sounding when you park them is a mystery. If they have QSI sound systems and are programmed into the command station, they too should sound when the system comes on. If they aren't in the command station then they won't be receiving those packets and won't respond until they do. Typically though once they receive the packet once, they will continue to receive the packet forever. They should not be shutting down when you park them. 

If those other units don't have QSI, this could also be the issue. Even if they do have QSI they could be programmed to do what you are experiencing. Some decoders are programmed to shut down automatically if they don't receive any packets after a number of seconds. We do not program our units this way.

What brand are the other locomotives and what are the sound systems in them? 

The operation you experience is a bit odd all around. I'm not familiar with the EZ Command system though and that may have a lot to do with it."

Atlantic Central

This is what happens when you give these electrons a higher education, they get crazy ideas and start misbehaving.

Sheldon

Hunt

Quote from: Atlantic Central on January 01, 2009, 01:41:03 PM
This is what happens when you give these electrons a higher education, they get crazy ideas and start misbehaving.

Sheldon
Sheldon,
Visualize a Command Control system based on an advanced version of the HAL 9000.  ;)

Atlantic Central

Or was that my children I was refering to? Anyway, I have the utmost respect for those of you deeply into the digital age, but I am very happy with my Aristo Train Engineer and my relay based walk around block control system.

Admitedly, part of the reason is that it allows me to not be dependent on anyone elses skills. It is all within my engineering and constuction skills and is not even dependent on Aristo.

Other brands of radio throttles exist, and I could build one if need be. I guess I could learn computer programing for Computerized Block Control, but it would take too much time/effort.

And, as stated before, DCC while full of nice features, lacks many of the features most important to my model railroading goals.

Hunt, if you have any interest, I will send you my control system book when its ready.

Sheldon