Running two locomotives together in a consist

Started by Neo Fender, December 28, 2008, 11:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

I have a new Bachmann Digital Commander set w/ two engines.  I can run them separately but cannot get them to run together (nose-to-tail, both facing forward).  The instructions are not clear (to me).  Is a separate (third) address required?

Thanks.

grumpy

Both engines must  have the same address. That is the first thing to check.
Don

Yampa Bob

The DVD that came with your controller shows how to hook the two in consist, either facing the same direction or tail to tail.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

Seeing as Bob didn't give you much better advice than to watch the DVD again.
The easy way is to give the locos the same address. They will both respond. When you address them, address them separately, so you can determine the direction of the second unit (if you want to run them tail to tail, one will have to be addressed in reverse).
Alex

Yampa Bob

GG.
Since NEO didn't mention the DVD, he apparently didn't view it in the first place. If he had watched the DVD, he probably wouldn't have asked the question. Besides, Don already answered the question, I saw no need to repeat it.

I don't normally spend this much time explaining my motives or methods, but I try to make allowances for youngsters.  8)

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob, It is best not to speculate as to what a poster did or did not do!!  We need to work hard to help new people in the hobby, without flaming them on speculation.  I often do not post when others respond unless I feel that some factor did not come up.  I know from other posts that you feel attacked and are defensive at times.  WHAT IT BOILS DOWN TO IS THE OLD SAYING IF YOU CAN'T POST SOMETHING NICE THEN DON'T POST AT ALL.  Better to lay low and let someone else post a positive response.   

Just my two cents!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jake

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 29, 2008, 04:20:44 AM
GG. ...Since NEO didn't mention the DVD, he apparently didn't view it in the first place...

Quote from: Neo Fender on December 28, 2008, 11:47:38 PM...The instructions are not clear (to me)...

I would think that the DVD would be a form of instructions, no? But Neo, I have not used my E-Z Command in quite a long time, but I do remember that to run a consist of locomotives you just change their address to a common one. By that I mean, if you want loco #7 (lets say this one will be the leader) on the easy command to run with locomotive #3, you simply give them the same address, I would usually use the address of the lead locomotive, so I would reprprogram locomotive #3 to address #7. Then both locomotives will respond to the throttle when that address is selected. If you wish to have one running backwards, you must change the default 'forward' direction for the decoder, which I have since forgotten how to do.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

grumpy

That was the best advice Bob could give. By watching the DVD Neo would learn more than telling him how to do it.
Guilford Guy
In order for him to follow your instructions he will have to read the manual or watch the DVD. You gave the destinations without an address or directions on how to get there.
Don ::)

Guilford Guy

One would assume, if he can run his locomotives separately, that he programmed their numbers, and knows how to do so.
Alex

Yampa Bob

Bill

I was not flaming NEO or being critical, that was not my intention. I thought he was unaware of the DVD, which would give him the best information. I could have written detailed instructions, step by step, but since he already seemed confused, I felt it might only confuse him more.

I have watched the DVD, and it explains the procedure much better than anyone could do in writing.  

It is also best to not "speculate" on the "tone" of other member's suggestions. On the matter of "not saying anything nice", people should practice what they preach. My dollar's worth, two cents has little value these days.  :D

"Judge not, lest ye also be judged".....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!