News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stepping up to DCC

Started by Fridge56Vet, December 25, 2008, 09:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fridge56Vet

Am considering making the leap to DCC when I make my new layout (whenever that may be, depending on the economy), but all of my current engines (steam & diesel) are just DC.  Can I still run them as DC with DCC controllers, or will I have to swap out transformers?  Also, how difficult (and expensive) is it to upgrade these locomotives to DCC?  Most are diesels, but there is one old NYC Streamlined Hudson made by AHM (Rivarossi) that I really like, and judging by the print (and price - $39.98) on the box it's older than I am.  Any thoughts, suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Atlantic Central

Don't assume that DCC is "better" than DC. It is different. It has some advantages and some disadvantages. Learn about it, the good and the bad, and try to determine if you need or want it to meet the operational goals you desire for YOUR railroad.

For some other views on control systems you may want to read "Radio Control For HO" - an ongoing post in the "general discussion" area on this forum.

Sheldon

the Bach-man

Dear Fridge,
Some DCC systems, like our EZ Command, have an analog address to run your existing loco fleet (one at a time!). Others, like our Dynamis, do not. You might want to start with an EZ Command, as it very affordable, and upgrade later if you decide DCC is for you.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

lmackattack

After being in this hobby for 20 years Dcc operation, in my opinion, is the only way to go unless you really like to wire up the layout with miles of wire just to control you simple controls of your engines. With the lower costs of DCC systems and $20 decoders it makes it very reasonable and most times cheaper to go the DCC route. If you lan to run a small 4x8 DCC may not take full advantage but I think if you want to store locos on the layout and operate more than one engine at any one time DCC is the obvious soulition. to convert from DC over to DCC you will need a new controler that operates DCC, some begginer sets such as the bachman EZ command are a good way to get started. Middle of the road systems cost around $120. high end start around $300+. I would suggest a sytem that is easy to use and has expandable use if you pan on your layout to grow. I use the MRC advanced 2 and like it very much as its very user frendly and has a few options to expand. to convert you locos to DCC you will need to install decoders. if you can solder wire and work with small wire you should be ok. most problems with decoder instalation is finding space for the decoder to live.  cheap decoders can cost $20 and expencive sound decoders will run you around $100.

Some decoders can be programmed to run in DC and DCC. The down fall is that you cannot run a DC loco at the same time a DCC loco is on the layout (unless you wired the layout in blocks) At this point if you want to run both DCC and DC you might as well just stick with DC as you will bewiring up the layout in "Blocks" that are commonly found in DC layouts

again just my .02

Trent

pdlethbridge

Trent, I agree. Its too hard for me to crawl under the table at 62. I have DCC and everything is controlled by my NCE power cab hand held throttle. The turntable has its own decoder and the switch machines (atlas code 83) are controlled by 3 digitrax DS-64. The only thing that is like the old way (power blocks) are the roundhouse tracks and the turntable. That way my throttle is not overloaded.
Fortunately, my layout, for the most part, is only 2 feet wide. Where the loops are its 4 feet but accessible.

Yampa Bob

All my locomotives are DCC equipped, but I ran them for about a year on DC power. (one at a time or 2 in consist). I just recently switched over to DCC with a Bachmann EZ Command and enjoy it very much.

With EZ Command you can run one analog (DC) loco on address 10, but I don't recommend it. If you are seriously considering going to DCC, you might want to add decoders to your existing locos, and continue to run them on DC power until you decide which DCC controller you want.

I have a small single main layout, and rarely run more than one loco at a time. With DCC I can have all my locos on the track, run one for awhile then park it and run another. Whether DC or DCC, "One engineer, One train" seems more realistic.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Fridge56vet and all,

DCC may be the perfect control system for your layout, and it might not.

Some common misconceptions do exist. One is that you need only connect two wires to your layout and the "electronics does all the rest". This may be true for a small layout, but as layout size increases, wiring complexity increases with DCC or DC.

You cannot park an unlimited number of locos on a DCC layout (especially sound equiped ones) without multiple power districts, or "kill" sections or both.

Larger track plans will require multiple power districts, and multiple track feeders within those districts for good signal performance.

Signaling, crossing gates, automatic control, etc will all reqiure seperate electrical track sections (commonly but incorrectly called blocks) and will require a complete additional wiring infrastructure. So if you want any of the above, be prepared to do a lot of "wiring" anyway.

To fully realize the benifits of DCC you will want a moderate sized layout, which, as expained above will involve more than just hooking up two wires.

Reverse loops will still need extra wiring. Yes, they work automaticly with DCC, but they do invlove wiring and expense.

Many new locos come with DCC decoders or are easily converted. And, most older locos can be retrofitted with varing degrees of difficulty, but decoders are not free. Expect to pay about $30.00 per loco if you do it your self and thre times that to have one installed by a pro.

For any given sized layout, and any given set of control system needs and wants, DCC will be among the most expensive choices. Some of its features can be found in no other control system, but many of its features can be duplicated by a number of more advanced DC systems.

Again, I am only suggesting that modelers understand what they want/need and look at all ways to reach those goals. And, that they understand as much as possible what they are getting into with any system they choose.

Some of the most impressive layouts I have ever seen or operated still use DC. To assume that DCC is a panacea is a mistake. It has some great features, and some limitations. It can have a high learning curve and a high expense for moderate to large layouts, and will still envole a fair amount of "wiring".

Sheldon

Yampa Bob

Sometimes I switch to DC power when I want to run consists of 3 or 4 locos. With DC you don't have to change default forward or reprogram addresses, just hook the locos up in any orientation needed and turn the throttle. The "right rail rule" makes it very simple.

I like DCC for my sound loco, but for the rest I am happy with either power mode. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.