News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Wheel Sets #42904

Started by rmcginnis2002, December 25, 2008, 01:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmcginnis2002

Does anyone know if these are metal wheel sets? I have been reading that plastic wheels and the Kadee wheel sets can cause dirt on the track problems.

CNE Runner

I'd love to answer your question regarding that particular item number...but I can't. I can say that every Bachmann car I have bought has had plastic wheels. Because I model 1899, I have to resort to "haunting" numerous model railroad shows to find Bachmann gondolas and flat cars. Upon returning home, I remove the Bachmann tago trucks, repaint/weather the car and install Kadee sprung arch bar trucks with 33" ribbed-back wheel sets. The result is a car that looks fairly good, rolls well and is stout enough for service (none of those shelf queens for me). To install the Kadee trucks, I glue a piece of dowel into the attachment hole in the car body and then secure with a small round-headed woodscrew.

Regarding metal wheels: Always convert your rolling stock to metal wheels! Yes, plastic wheels do pick up much more grunge - spreading it all along your tracks. The reason is simple physics. Simply put, plastic generates a considerable amount of static electricity which gives it an affinity to attrack oppositely charged particles (read: dust, etc.). While metal wheelsets do remain cleaner - longer; they are not the be all end all. I find I still have to clean all the wheels, on my rolling stock, about once every couple of years. Metal wheels makes this job much, much easier. I hope this helps. BTW: you don't necessarily have to replace the entire truck (although I can't imagine why not) as Kadee wheels will slip right into the Bachmann bolsters. I hope this helps...Happy Holidays!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richG

The advertising says black but the photo shows unpainted metal metal.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=2210

Rich

rmcginnis2002

Thanks, I saw that also. That's why I was wondering if anyone had actually seen one.

richG

I checked all my new Spectrum steamer tenders and they have blackened 33 inch wheel sets except for my new USRA tender. It has metal wheels that are not blackened. Quality control issue. They look exactly like the photo. By the way, the photo is a just a stock photo. Stock photos sometimes are just a general representation of the item being sold. Bachmann is not known for accurate documentation some times.

I removed a wheel set from each tender and they are metal. They weigh more than known plastic wheel sets. Easily determined by picking up a pair in each hand. I have a gram digital scale for further proof. They are also non magnetic so checking with a magnet is useless . Only the axles are magnetic.
Weather they all come blackened seems to be a crap shoot.

Rich

rmcginnis2002

Rich
Thanks for all your effort to check on this. I think I will buy one set of 12, and see what they are like before commiting to a larger purchase for a mass retrofit.
Thanks again
Bob (Santa Fe all the way)