News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

train wreck

Started by siemer, January 28, 2009, 11:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

I've just about concluded that there are some among us who should be prohibited by law from owning or operating an electric train.  Maybe there should be an examination, like a driving test, the failure of which would forever limit one to owning only those Thomas Tank things you push along on wooden tracks.  In any case, instead of naming names, I will move on to the 33rd consecutive stupid question I have posted herein during the past three months.

Yesterday, my northbound freight, powered by a nifty Bachmann On30 DCC-equipped 2-8-0, jumped the track on a tight curve and struck a southbound passenger train powered by an equally nifty Bachmann DC-only 2-6-0.  Because I had ignored everyone's advice to install guardrails around the edge of the trainboard, the collision sent one of my very handsome Bachmann On30 passenger cars off the track, off the table and onto the concrete basement floor, where it nearly disintegrated.  Specifically, the roof came off, both end-rails were propelled asunder, both trucks came apart and all four (or eight, if you will) wheels rolled here and there underfoot.

Because much of all that is reattachable, I was able to reassemble the car.  But no matter how may times I did that or how many ways I approached the reassembly, the car refuses to behave as it did before.  Instead of lighting up when placed on the track, it shorts everything out when placed on the track.  Obviously, I seem to be reversing poles or swapping anodes for cathodes or something.  Any thoughts?

My thanks.

Joe Satnik

Dear Siemer,

If your passenger car electrical pickups are anything like the ones on the tenders, then it is possible that you have assembled one set of trucks with the wheelsets (wheel-axel-wheel) backwards or mixed.   

If you inspect the wheelsets, you will see one wheel attached to the axel, and the other with an insulating bushing between the axel and the wheel. 

Each truck must have both wheelsets with the insulated bushing on the same side.  (I'm not sure what the standard is, check your other passenger cars and compare.)

The truck on one end of the passenger car has the insulating wheels on the right, the truck on the other end on the left.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jestor

Sounds like you had'em going at least Warp 2 or 3 huh?  :)

lvrr325

Joe is probably right on the money.  If you're not entirely clear on the verbal description he gave, compare it to another car that does light properly and you should be able to sort out which way the wheels go.