News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupling Height.

Started by JohnAH, December 30, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnAH

Evening all,
Just a quick question or two for the Bachmann or someone in the know.
If the mining wagons(92502/3) are 1:20.3, why are the couplings at the same height as the 1:22.5 vehicles?
Given that the coupling height of my Davenport is approx. 1/4" higher than the wagon, how reliable will that be?
Is there a fix that will bring the wagon coupling up to the correct height?
Perhaps a batch of UPWARD offset couplings?
Thanks for your help and Happy New Year everyone.
Cheers
John

Jon D. Miller

JohnAH,

As delivered by Bachmann the Davenport was supplied with a second set of couplers.  These couplers have an offset shank. With the offset shank couplers in place the Davenport's coupler height will match up with equipment that has truck mounted couplers.  These offset couplers will match up with your mine wagons.

Note the rear coupler on the Davenport.  It is one of the offset couplers supplied with the locomotive.

Change out your straight shank couplers to the supplied offset and you'll be in business. ;)

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

JohnAH

Jon,
Thanks for the reply....Yep.... with you regarding the offset couplings.
But then....the couplings will be too low for all the other 1:20.3 stuff.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear in the first post. I have other 1:20.3 stock and I wanted to couple them up with the higher couplings.......Is it time to get the toolkit out and attack the mining wagons?

altterrain

They should all be converted to link and pin. Looks much better.  ;D

-Brian
President of

Superheater

I too would be interested in a means of coupling these cars to my other 1:20 equipment that did not involve lowering all of the other correctly placed couplers in my fleet, or changing to lincoln pin couplers that also do not work with knuckle equipped pieces.

John Fitch

Santa Fe buff

Are there offset Shank couplers that offset upward manufactured?

JohnAH,
I understand your very upset from the delayed posts, but is it necessary to use cussing? Anyway, are you able to adjust one car to make it a "Coupler Transition Car"?

Sorry to ask more questions, but the information from them may help... :)

I hope this problem is resolved,

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

az2rail

Bachmann does offer couplers with off-set knuckles. They make them up and down. As I don't own any mining cars yet, i don't know if they will work or not, but looking at the picture in the catolog, it looks like they will.

I have to admit, that G scale coupling is a pain in the butt. I could understand it from manufacture to manufacure, but when a manufacture can not stay consistant, it makes me wonder. Thank god for Kadee's.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.