Steel 'Cable' Placard... info?

Started by Paul M., December 30, 2008, 04:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

Hey guys,
while railfanning I was walking along the tracks of a local shortline whose tracks date to 1910 and are ex-ATSF... I stumbled upon an old 'Cable' steel placard painted silver, in the roadbed. I've seen others of these, too...

Any information on this?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Yampa Bob

Hi Paul
I am surprised the placard was still there, can we assume it is now in your collection?   :D  Judging from the screw holes, it might have been attached to a freight car or something.

I did all kinds of searches and didn't find anything, it is interesting.

I have a small collection of railroad tie date nails I retrieved from old ties laying beside the tracks through our ranch, some date back to early 30s.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

cmgn9712

The ones I am familiar with marked where a power line or signal wires passed under the roadbed so maintenance crews don't tear up the cable

BIG BEAR

Hey Yampa Bob,
    I come across some dated copper nails at a swap meet today, I didn't buy any. He was asking $1 ea. He had about 40 or so.
    I did buy from that same vendor an old tyco billboard whistle. Still have to test it though. Now I have one for each of the granddaughter's.

Enjoy,
    Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Yampa Bob

Hi Barry,

A dealer friend in Kansas had a box full of old nails, he let me pick out some when I was at his shop last year. 

When UP replaced all the ties here, they left a lot of the old spikes along the roadbed.  I picked up some, thought they might make a good hat rack.

pdlethbridge

grumpy

Yampa Bob