News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

of the Black and the Gray

Started by DocWhite, December 31, 2008, 12:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWhite

I recently inherited a rather extensive 12'x10' Bachman HO layout that was created with the BLACK (steel) EZ track.   I wish to expand the layout more for my tastes.

There are two Bachmann authorized dealers in my area, but they do not seem to agree on my choices.  One, an old established dealer, says I cannot under any circumstances add Gray roadbed items to the current layout as the tracks are not compatible.  He refues to say why, so I assume Code.

The other whom is newer in the business, insists that the other dealer is just trying to make money off of me.  As both tracks are compatible for DC running only.  And in as much as that is how I am set up it is fine with me (for now anyway).  As both tracks are the same code, but one is Nickel Silver and the other as I know is Steel.

My basement is on the dry side, and there no smokers.

I ask the experts here, before I shell out for crossovers etc... 

Simply, CAN I use the two types on the same layout? 

==========EDIT BELOW==========

Oh I thought I would mention the complete layout uses PCC cars only.  It has fake over head wires, as it is two rail operation.  I just need to create a large railyard, thus the need to use parts other than what I have access to with the BLACK Roadbed.

az2rail

You seem to already know the answers. The only difference I know between the two is the black track is steel and the gray uses nickel silver. The gray track is better, and will intermix with the black. I think that they are both code 100, but even if the black is code 83, you can get little rail joiners that will make a smooth transition.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Terry Toenges

AZ is right about the track, except they are both code 100.
Both are interchangeable.
Sounds like the old guy still has a lot of black track to unload and you're his prime candidate.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

To add to that - Shouldn't authorized Bachmann dealers at least know the basics about the track they are selling?
Feel like a Mogul.

Jhanecker2

Not only are black(steel) and Gray(nickel-siver) E-Z track compatible for DC operation they are also compatible for DCC operation . Thay are both Code 100   and as such can also be used with Atlas Code 100 and Power-Lok track with transition adapters . After ballasting and scenery most track is indestiguishable from any other track.

DocWhite

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 31, 2008, 10:23:22 AM
Sounds like the old guy still has a lot of black track to unload and you're his prime candidate.

I'm the "old guy" the kid went to war... and I got the layout.

Thanks for your help.

DocWhite

I thank you one and all for the great information.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!