News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Appropriate Sound Decoder for the 2-8-0

Started by Mike_AA9ZY, December 30, 2008, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_AA9ZY

Hi, I'm looking at a 2-8-0 Connie and although it's dcc-equipped, it doesn't have sound.

So any suggestions for a sound decoder?

Frisco

There are two decoders that are really good.

The Soundtraxx Tsunami is really great but it must be hard wired into the locomotive.

The ESU Loksound 3.5 has verry good sounds (although not as good as the Soundtraxx) and has the advantage of having a 8-pin plug so it is "plug in and play".

Tomcat

Mike,

the Soundtraxx Tsunamis (Medium Steam or - which fits great: D&RGW C-Class...) work well with the Consolidations. You would need to solder a 8-pin plug to the Tsunami, but its nothing difficult...

If you want to go an easier way - try ESU Loksound 3.5 as Frisco already mentioned.
But I would recommend Soundtraxx - you got a far wider choice of sounds, as I personally love the "open cylinder drain cocks" when starting the engine - thats F4...

Great stuff, rock solid, great folks at Soundtraxx - and its "made in USA"!!! :) :) :)

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

pandprr

Mike,

The information you have been given is not entirely correct. The 'Tsunami' CAN be plugged into the 2-8-0's circuit board. All you need is to get hold of a Digitrax wiring harness (ref DHWHP - about $4.00).

Then carefully strip back the covering plastic at the end of the Tsunami decoder (the end with the most wires coming out) and you will see that the existing wires are connected to a plug. Gently pull it out, connect the Digitrax harness to the socket and replace the plastic covering. secure with a bit of adhesive tape.

Then just plug the other end of the Digitrax harness directly to the socket on the loco's circuit board. Simple.

Don Mason
Nottingham
UK