E-Z Command Warning (and Consequences)

Started by BobProctor, December 30, 2008, 09:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobProctor

I operate a Bachmann On30 train around the Xmas tree using EZ Command DCC.

I've been doing this for several years but when setting up this year, I failed to follow this note in the instructions:

NOTE: DO NOT CONNECT THE E-Z COMMAND CONTROL CENTER TO THE WALL PACK POWER SUPPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE THE CONNECTIONS FROM THE CONTROL CENTER TO YOUR TRACK.

Now my locomotive will not run -- lights and sound all work but it will not move in either direction.   What have I done, did I fry the decoder? 

Hunt

The decoder in your locomotive should be O.K., but the E-Z Command Control unit is not.

Call Bachmann Service Dept and discuss your options.

Yampa Bob

Hi Bob
I made the same mistake early on with my EZ Command, resulting in symptoms similar to what you describe.

Recalling an experience with our sattelite digital tv receiver, I unplugged the power supply from the wall, spent a few minutes hooking up all the cables including the track connections, then plugged the power supply back into the wall receptacle.

I was then able to program the locomotive and haven't had any problems since. This may not work in your situation, but worth a try. Sometimes the processor takes a "hit" due to a short or open connection, and needs to be "re-initialized" to its normal state.

I might also mention that you should always turn off AC power to the controller when placing or removing a locomotive, otherwise, if you think about it, you will create the same situation.  Even dirty track or wheels which causes momentary "break and make" power connections can disorient the controller or decoder.

I mounted a switch controlled AC power strip to the side of the layout, so I can conveniently turn off power to the system.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

adari

I used to do that all the time and it did not break. Especially when I was making the transition to my digitrax system. I haven't used it in a while but I'll go down right now and try.

Everything still runs fine. I never had that problem. Hopefully you get it fixed by tonight.