News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bullfrogsnot

Started by trainstamp, December 31, 2008, 12:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainstamp

Has anyone tried this product? It is supposed to add traction like rubber tires do on drive wheels. I'm leary about it. How would you go about applying an even coat on the wheels? I haven't been able to find out much about it. Thanks for any info or experiences you can share, as I have several steamers that could use something like this.
Richard in VT

Hunt

It is  BULLFROG SNOT
Go here http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=104238 and ask all the questions you need about it.

If you have an HO locomotive needing traction tires... sell it and buy a quality locomotive.

lmackattack

I have not used it but think its a great idea for improving traction. the reviews I have read on the trainboardfourms speak highly of the product. A few people have tested it and say that they see not signs of wear, dirt or any bad reactions from the product. the biggist issues is that you have to have clearance around the wheel before its applied. some N scale guys have trouble with this.  I have 4 steam engines. my smallest has hard compound traction tires. it pulls better than my largest engine can.  Stay away from ruber bands and cheap tires that fall off and can halt your engine like a sports car.

Terry Toenges

Hunt -
All of my Bachmann old time 4-4-0's have traction tires.
Surely you're not suggesting I get rid of all my Bachmann 4-4-0's (That will out pull a whole lot of other bigger locos) and buy another brand.
Feel like a Mogul.

Yampa Bob

A bit of information from "the source".

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=104696

I think it would only be suitable as a replacement tire on wheels with recessed treads.  Application appears easy, by securing the loco upside down in a cradle, applying to a rotating wheel and squeegee it smooth with a toothpick or tiny "trowel".

Regular silicone bathroom caulk (the smelly kind) might be a cheap altenative.  Other options are liquid latex (for making molds), or "Dip-it", a rubbery liquid used to make cushioned handles on pliers and other tools. I have used the latter two in various applications.

I'm guessing that the "snot" is a form of readily available liquid latex repackaged in a fancy bottle (with fancy price).

http://www.artmolds.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=177&page=0&cat_name=Latex%20Rubber

A site for "Dip and Grip".  I use a similar product in Solar Electric applications to coat battery terminals to seal out moisture. Once it sets up, it is easily cleaned with alcohol.

http://samplerewards.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1899
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Hunt

Quote from: Terry Toenges on December 31, 2008, 10:39:50 AM
Hunt -
All of my Bachmann old time 4-4-0's have traction tires.
Surely you're not suggesting I get rid of all my Bachmann 4-4-0's (That will out pull a whole lot of other bigger locos) and buy another brand.
Hi Terry,
Happy New Year!!

For you... You are correct ---  "Surely I am not suggesting"   ;D

Terry, I surmise you bought the Bachmann old time 4-4-0 locomotive because it fit what you wanted at the time and was the only model of that locomotive type you could locate in their price range. Perhaps the only old time 4-4-0 locomotive HO model you could readily locate at all.
(How is that for all you folks who live on speculation?)   ???

I also have one of the Bachmann old time 4-4-0. It was given to me. Traction tires are a necessity on this locomotive to meet its price point and move anything beyond its own weight. Should Bachmann ever product a Spectrum 4-4-0 model of that vintage. I don't expect to see traction tires on it.

Yes, the tires do provide, as they should, traction that otherwise would be missing. Those tires also significantly move the point of occurrence of a key safeguard for gears and motor --- wheel spin.

I repeat the point --- In HO scale, traction tires are not needed on a quality designed and manufactured locomotive.

Yes, I know some expensive HO scale model locomotives have traction tires on them but the traction tires are there to compensate for things missing from their design and manufacturing. But one example of many... A HO model the manufacturer provided wheel sets with traction tires as a modeler add-on. They quickly discontinued the model because of failure of the gears. Now some folks have expensive shelf queens.

Jake

I see the most practical use for this product being for smaller scales being in smaller scales, HO narrow gauge, and HO logging. Considering 3 out of the four have tiny, light locos, and the latter has insane grades.

I might try it some time.

--Jake
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!