News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

train set value??

Started by possum, December 31, 2008, 01:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possum

While getting christmas decor down, my mother stumbled opon a vintage Bachmann train set.   Inside the shipping box from Sears contains the following items, which are all still wrapped.
Northern 4-8-4 loco with smoke- Burlington
52' tender
Wayside Warehouse
Union Pacific crane car
Shell Tanker
3 box cars
1 flat car with logs
track
trackside accessories

Just curious on about how much this set is worth so I would know if I need to keep up or let my son play with.

Thanks for any help

Atlantic Central

Let your son play with it. Vintage? What does that mean?

There is basicly no collector value to old HO scale trains of a train set or ready to run nature. Some are good to fair quality, some are very poor, but more serious modelers are not interested and few people "collect" HO scale just for its "History", so its market value is very low, most likely about $20.00.

Sheldon

SteamGene

There is every possibility that the locomotive is in bad shape.  If it is more than 15 years old it probably has what is called a "pancake" motor.  These were poor motors inside a shell with little weight so its pulling power is very limited.  If your son shows interest, it might be best to go and get a whole new set. 
It is possible - not likely, but possible, that somebody really wants this set and would be willing to pay far more than I would.  A lady asked us about such a set here several years ago.  We told her it was worth maybe $20 and she made over $100 selling it on eBay. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"