News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Starting in N Scale

Started by westsidelumber12, January 01, 2009, 05:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westsidelumber12

I've been a HO modeler to a long time, but now since i have the funding i have decided to start in n scale. I need to find a nice set to start with and anything else i maybe need. Can you n scalers help me out with recommendations and such?
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Conrail Quality

One of the first things you need to consider is track. There is code 80 and code 55, much like HO code 100 and 83. You also have the option of using track with built in roadbed, like Kato Unitrack , Bachmann EZ-Track, and Atlas's new True-Track. I currently use Unitrack, and am quite happy with it. I also have used EZ-Track, and was not so happy with it.

As for locomotives, here's a site I've found useful:
http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/trainstuff.html
I don't always agree with his opinions, but his site has by far the most comprehensive locomotive information on the internet, and it gives you an idea what's out there.

If you want to start out with a set, Kato, Atlas, and Bachmann have some good sets. Life-Like used to make sets, and you still might be able to find them. I started with a Kato set and would recommend it.

One last thing to consider is couplers. N-scale is currently going through a transition between the old Rapido couplers and the new knuckle couplers, much like what HO scale went through with horn-hook couplers. Since you aren't starting off with any old models, I would buy only equipment that has knuckle couplers installed. It will save you time in the long run.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

westsidelumber12

OK, thank you, i wanted to buy that Kato Santa Fe Super Chief set but my Wallet wouldn't open at the train store so i have to think of somthin else, i honestly want nice track and I'm probably going to but a Atlas train set.

Does anyone have any recommendations on sets? And if there are any N scale Santa Fe modelers show me some pics plz, i am going to end up modeling Santa Fe in the long run.......i can finally run those long trains with n scale...
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....