News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multi-gauge layout?

Started by Neo Fender, January 07, 2009, 08:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

I'm new top the hobby and have a few multi scale sets.  I'm looking for the most economical way (smallest footprint and cost) to get my sets off the basement floor and up to a level that's more enjoyable, comfortable and will keep the trains and track from being trampled.  My goal is to be able to set up and run all the trains from a single table (hopefully no more than 8' x 8').  With the various scales/gauges, I know scaling will be impractical.  I'm just looking for something purely functional at this point. 

Currently, I have:

Bachman G scale passenger train and a G scale trolley (streetcar?).  The train is currently set up on a 10' x 6' rectangle, though I can go anywhere from 4' x 12' to 8' x 8' with the track I have.  The trolley is running on a 4' circle.  My current thought is to run the train on a 7' square; with the trolley running a separate 5' square within the train (my son likes to see all the trains running, which is my reason for keeping the tracks separate).

Two Lionel sets (a #1473WS set from 1950 and a new Polar Express set).  I currently have 40" x 60" of FasTrack but can expand this is necessary to keep both sets on the track (but operated one at-a-time).  I have the old track that came with the 1950 set but do not anticipate using it.

Two Bachmann HO sets: One Thomas Holiday Special Set w/ 40" x 60" of the steel alloy (black roadbed) track.  One Digital Commander set with two locomotives and 40" x 60" of the nickel silver (grey roadbed) track.  I also have a 43 piece track expansion pack with a number of additional straights, curves and switches.

I've seen multi-tiered layouts (like a wedding cake) and I'm curious if to see if this would be a prudent way to go.  Again, I'm looking for something functional at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Terry Toenges

Maybe this will get your creative juices flowing -

----------------------------
Feel like a Mogul.

Neo Fender

Yes!

That's what I'm envisioning.

Thanks.

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 07, 2009, 10:04:53 AM
Maybe this will get your creative juices flowing -

----------------------------

Neo Fender

Terry,

I glanced at your profile and noticed you're near St. Louis.  I'm near O'Fallon (Missouri).  I tried to PM you but the letter verification thing is conspiring against me.  Just wanted to say "thanks" and "hello".

Terry Toenges

Neo - I'm down in Park Hills, just North of Farmington.
Good luck in your design. I just wanted to give you a little inspiration :-)
Feel like a Mogul.