News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dear Bachmann

Started by Cheeky_ULP, January 04, 2009, 11:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

I've had a concern with the Thomas and Friends packaging style.

All of the Bachmann items I've seen in stores come in boxes, including HO, OO and N locomotives, which I find to be convenient packages for models. The question I have is why in the Thomas and Friends range, the locomotives and stock come in tricky-to-open plastic packages that need tools to open. Is there any particular reason for this, or just for looks? I'd find it a lot more convenient to have my items boxed, rather than making a special carrying case for the items (and I'm sure other people feel the same!).

This is just a concern, and suggestion. Thank you for your time.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well they are marketed towards kids, and a lot of things marketed towards kids come in that kind of packaging.

alex wittman

that is true, if they put them in easy to open boxes then little kids can get to the trains and break them on the first day, i would just use sissors and cut on the edge of the package, except the bottom. hope that works out for all.

alex wittman

StanierJack

Hornby, Tomix and Lionel use boxes for their ranges, so why not bachmann?

I'm using old boxes and bubble wrap to store my bachmann items.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: alex wittman on January 04, 2009, 11:50:33 PM
that is true, if they put them in easy to open boxes then little kids can get to the trains and break them on the first day, i would just use sissors and cut on the edge of the package, except the bottom. hope that works out for all.

alex wittman
Thats just the annoying part; the cut bits of plastic can be sharp, and sometimes tough to open. Boxes would be more convenient, as Jack said; every other brand has, sans Bachmann. It may be "unique," but I find it annoying for having a lack of a package to put them in when not in use.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, I keep the plastic thing inside the packaging they come in.

The Chaz Storm

When my new stuff came in the mail today the plastic was really bothering me with opening it. :P  I would love to see Bachmann place their products in boxes, I don't see why the Bachmann Thomas range needs to deal with something that is a lot more complicated.  It always has been very frustrating and I think it would be a really good idea if Bachmann considers putting them in boxes.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'll pass along your ideas.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

The Chaz Storm

Thank you very much Bach-man, I really appreciate it very much. :)  I'm sure the same goes for the rest of the other members as well.

DealAjani

It is true that the Thomas stuff is marketed towards kids, but like Sparks sad, Hornby and Lionel do the same. They make boxes for their stock. It works out well. Even when I was in London during the summer, I went to ModelZone and bought a Hornby Stepney. It came in a box, and I kept the box as a little souviner.

In short, boxes make more sense than having a hard to open plastic that can cut a kid who is trying to open it.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Well, yeah, but look at action figures and the like. I'm not saying it makes sense. In fact, here's my opinion in the use of that packaging: ::)

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on January 06, 2009, 09:53:27 PM
Well, yeah, but look at action figures and the like. I'm not saying it makes sense. In fact, here's my opinion in the use of that packaging: ::)
Action figures aren't meant to be stored and carried around. :P

I have to store my models in a box when I take them to the club on Saturdays; an hour long ride! In the early days of my "unboxed items," it damaged Thomas' paint sadly.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

I manage to save the little plastic insulating tray(despite my mom's efforts). Started doing that after James got beat up during the trip up to visit relatives in Idaho Xmas 2007. His wires got shook loose(hell, one came off at one end) and his pilot bogie got busted. :P I placed him in a little box packed with newspaper for the trip home. Henry, whom I received as a gift that year, made the trip home in his original packaging, which I wisely decided to open relatively intact. The trick is to cut down the middle of the top. Then you should be able to pry the plastic apart enough to prize the loco or rolling stock item out. This leaves the package relatively intact.

Diesel #261

Quote from: Sparks on January 04, 2009, 11:05:51 PM

All of the Bachmann items I've seen in stores come in boxes, including HO, OO and N locomotives, which I find to be convenient packages for models. The question I have is why in the Thomas and Friends range, the locomotives and stock come in tricky-to-open plastic packages that need tools to open. Is there any particular reason for this, or just for looks? I'd find it a lot more convenient to have my items boxed, rather than making a special carrying case for the items (and I'm sure other people feel the same!).

I think that the plastic packages should only be used for the locomotives.  They are very protective and I remember that the one guy at the hobby shop told me that if you drop the model in the package the worst damage that could happen is the models face poping off.  Locomotives in plastic packages and Rolling Stock in boxes. :)
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Shawmut Railway on January 07, 2009, 03:53:35 PM
Quote from: Sparks on January 04, 2009, 11:05:51 PM

I think that the plastic packages should only be used for the locomotives.  They are very protective and I remember that the one guy at the hobby shop told me that if you drop the model in the package the worst damage that could happen is the models face poping off.  Locomotives in plastic packages and Rolling Stock in boxes. :)
Boxes still keep the items safe. :P