Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

overland set

Started by HO_GUY, January 01, 2009, 03:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HO_GUY

Hi all and Happy New Year.
I just purchased the overland set and I'm having some problems as follows;
a.  the train doesn't move until the controller is turned up to aprox. 30-40, with or without the cars attached.
b.  I tried to install a bridge set up but the train wouldn't make it up the hill.  I didn't even use the highest piers onlt the first 3 pieces for the rise and low sides.
c.  I added some of Bachmann smoke fluid but no smoke comes out.  I did see some of the fluid leak onto the track when parked.  Not sure if I overfilled it or it has a leak as there is no smoke.

One note here, I have another HO engine that I used and it had no problem going up and over the bridge.
I would greatly appreciate any help with these problems.  I like the set and want to build a large layout using itas long as I can get it to work properly.
Thanks.

Yampa Bob

Happy New Year to you Guy,

Put your ear next to the loco, then turn the throttle up slightly from zero, to detect if the motor is "humming". 

Having to turn the throttle a 1/4 turn or more is sometimes normal for a new loco, it might just need a brief break-in period.  Run the loco at various speeds including full throttle, with no cars, in both forward and reverse, for about 15 minutes. Then touch the shell to see if there is any heat build up. 

There might be some binding in the mechanism, or it might need a tiny bit of lubrication.  Use Labelle 108 or equivalent that is plastic compatible.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Is this a new set or just one that wasn't bought until now?  That could make a big difference.  Are the couplers knuckle type or horn hook?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

HO_GUY

Hi,
Thanks for the help guys.
I did run the train for the break in period, even a little longer both ways.  I also cleaned the tracks several times and oiled the loco a lil bit - the rear wheels were squeeking.  I just purchased it new in Dec. 08.  Not sure what kind of couplers they are.  I know they are easy to hook and unhook.  I don't notice any heat build up.  I did manage to get the train up the piers (ez track pier set) although it is not set up to the full height nor can I run it with all the cars (9) attached, only 3-4.
I guess I will continue tinkering till I get it right lol.  I'm new so it will take some time.  Again thanks guys for your help.

kevin2083

how far apart are you putting the piers?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Back to the couplers.  Do they look like:
1.  all plastic, with a horizontal piece that looks something like a sythe or cresent moon with a straight piece going vertically down
or
2.  looks very much like a real coupler with perhaps a small spring in the head of the knucle and a curved piece going down and forward.
?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

HO_GUY

Hi guys,
Thanks so much for your help.  I placed the piers at each track connection and I only used up to about the 2inch high pier over a section of 5 track pieces.

As for the couplers they are all plastic but look like your 2nd choice with a curved piece going down and forward.

One other note here,  I just found out that even though I just purchased this set, it is an older model/stock set.  Bachmann has since switched out to a different power pac and also now uses 22" radius' instead of 18".  So I'm thinking of starting off with the 22" curves before I look into a new/stronger power unit.

Again thanks Yampa Bob, SteamGene & Kevin for all your help.