Decoder problem with Spectrum diesel (loud hissing noise)

Started by jwoj69, April 11, 2009, 01:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwoj69

This my first. I had installed five decoders into Spectrum diesels. I got very simple, almost bullet proof instructions from Bachmann web site. Except for none egzisting resistor in the past. I never had any problems. Until now.  I installed 2 decoders, one went to dash 8CW, works great. I just changed address. Next i did Dash SD45 ( i already did 2 of them no problem). At first was fine. I was testing it on the track, when high pitch hissing noise started. At first only forward, then was happening in reverse also. Very loud. I did CV 50 to 8,  i did start mid and top voltage. Nothing. Even engine was brand new, i lubrikated it again. Nothing. Engine is so loud, it's almost unusable. I used Digitrax DZ123 brand new, straight directly from the factory. My engine is about month old ( i was waiting for decoder). I test it maybe for 5 minutes prior installing decoder. In short:
- engine is new and tested
- decoder is brand new straight from the factory (not even dealer)
- i followed Bachmann's instructions. Nothing miswire, no loose ends
- all gears were lubricated
- CV 50 set to 8
- start volt 2 med 5 top 6
-i did reset it the decoder to factory again.
No matter what i tried, hissing loud noise is there in forward and reverse. Quit on idle.
Can anyone help? I looked on Digitrax (decoder), Bachmann (engine), MRC (cab) web sites, some forums, no help to my issue. This noise is constant to the speed, faster the louder. In reverse first couple second are noise free, and then is sounds like in forward.
Please help
jack

fieromike

Since your noise is speed related, I'd be looking at a dry bearing.  Most likely one of the motor bearings, but remember that a little (plastic compatible) oil goes a long ways!

jwoj69

Quote from: fieromike on April 11, 2009, 02:57:30 PM
Since your noise is speed related, I'd be looking at a dry bearing.  Most likely one of the motor bearings, but remember that a little (plastic compatible) oil goes a long ways!

You will not going to believe me. I did greased all the gears yesterday, write before i post it my message. Out of desperation i tried again. This time i only oiled bearings ( as per Your advise). On a first try it work like a charm. Thank You so much. You are the best!
jack

fieromike