derailing on 18" radius track

Started by GODDARD, December 15, 2008, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GODDARD

I have a Hogwarts express , 1 Hogwarts Castle (nee manor) and two passenger cars. It very hard to keep the tender and the passenger car on the track.

1) Is the 18 inch curve too tight? is 22" needed?
2) Should the passenger cars be weighted more, they seem very light and seem to be pulled off the rails on curves
This is unit of several years ago but is basically in new shape.
R Goddard

THB-DAVE

I bought this set for my son years ago and the coaches had a tendency to derail on the 18' curves supplied with the set. I solved the problem with wieghts over the trucks. I think I put 2 ounces over each truck.

GODDARD

westsidelumber12

Heres your answer

Passenger Cars+18 radius curves=BIG problems

They might work for a while but 18 radii curves are bad, i have them and i plan on getting rid of them because there just too tight the best thing to do is get 22's it saves you int he long run because lets say u end up liking double stacker's, they'll go around 22's not 18's
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Joe Satnik

Dear Goddard,

How much room (extra width) do you have?  If not much more, you might consider easements into your curves.

Easements help by eliminating the sudden sideways jerk of going from a straight directly into a curve. 

Here is a thread with EZ-Track pseudo-easement recipies. 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,6564.0.html

Here is the recipe for 18"R curves:

33-1/4"R-12 degree section leading into a
26"R-18 degree section leading into a
18"R curve.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.