HELP With New N Scale 0-6-0 Steam Train

Started by rollndice83, January 06, 2009, 09:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollndice83

Hey everyone. I posted a question yesterday about lubrication and got some very helpful information. I have not lubed the train out of the box yet but the train has only went around the track a few times on low speed.

Here is my next question for all you steam engine buff's... When I first when to use the Steam engine i turned the controller to 20% and it wouldn't go,So I gave it a little push and it started going. It was very jerky at first and I didn't want to increase the power too much. I brought it up to about 35% and it started to move better. I checked to make sure the track was clean since it just came out of the box. Now i have ran the train several times and have noticed that it acts different going forward then in reverse. I know there is a break in period but is this normal for steam engine operation(I am new to them) The wheels and push rods movement seems to be much smoother in Reverse and can move very slowly in reverse without stopping.If I switch over to forward it seems to hesitate and the movement seems not as smooth,I have to increase the power to get it to smooth out. Do the steam trains just need a longer period of break in then diesels and Do they usually work better or smoother in reverse than forward???? If this indicates a problem I just bought the Train and live in the suburbs of Philadelphia so I will just send it to Bachmann for a repair or replace. I bought the train set new in the box at a train show so the retailer who sold it to me is an hour away. Any suggestions or tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks Again

the Bach-man

Dear Roll,
Break in your loco by running it a moderate speeds in both directions for an hour or so.  It should smooth out, and the speed will improve.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rollndice83

Hey The Bach-Mann It looks like when I looked at the train..One of the copper brushes that touch the back inside wheels of the loco was on the outside of the wheel bent out. I took of the bottom cover and reset the wheel axle and gear with both copper brushes on the inside of the wheel. Now the train performs excellent in both directions!  ;D

Lt Jim

Glad you found the wiper problem! That CAN happen but it is easily fixed! One other thing to check besides the track are the wheels. Even out of the box wheels might be coated with oil or blackening which could impede electrical contact. One way to clean them is by applying 91% alcohol (ie 91% rubbing alcohol) to a paper towel and then laying the paper towel across the track. Hold the engine against the paper towel, apply power, and clean the wheels (be sure at least one of the wheelsets is making electrical contact)! You can also use an ear swab dipped in alcohol and just run it around the wheel treads.

Do be careful as too much alcohol could remove paint!

James in FL

"New" track is not clean.
Wipe it with alcohol on a rag, you will see.

rollndice83

Thanks James! I haven't tried that yet. Also thanks for offering help with the 0-6-0. Its great you know a lot about them. If I have any questions I'll ask you. Thanks again