News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The pokey engine that couldn't

Started by siemer, January 07, 2009, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

Mr. Bachmann Man and others:

I'm running my new Bachmann DCC-equipped 2-8-0 on DC temporarily in advance of shifting to DCC control next month.  The problem is speed -- even with no rolling stock in tow and the throttle wide open, the 2-8-0 runs about half as fast as my Bachmann non-DCC 2-6-0's.  Will the speed improve when I convert to DCC control?  Is there another problem I should be addressing?  Or do I just have a lazy engine on my hands?

James Thomas

Very normal.  Control will be very different when you run with DCC.  You can disable the DCC by using the dummy plugs supplied -- but may not be worth it if you are changing over to DCC soon.

Just a side note,  real narrow-guage steam locos didn't run very fast.

jestor

The DCC  electronics soak up  several  volts before it gets to the motor, resulting in a higher starting  voltage, which means you only have so much voltage left for higher speeds.  Also i believe that the 2-8-0 has smaller diameter drivers and possibly lower gearing than the older 2-6-0 which would further compound the difference in speed. When you begin running with DCC (14-16 volts on the track), you'll be able to get plenty of speed. Of course, then your 2-6-0's will be unable to run on the DCC powered track.