News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann long haul tender

Started by pacifier, May 10, 2007, 02:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pacifier

I recently bought a Bachmann long haul tender off Ebay and would like to get a look at the inside of it. I got the front off and can see a screw about midway down the tender, but can't reach it with a screwdriver. Can anyone help me with this.
Just a note, This is a goldmine, clean language, and excellent help.

lanny

Hi,

I don't think you have to unscrew anything from 'inside' the tender. If you have one end released, try putting some toothpicks in the gap and then look for some tabs to release the tender body from the chassis, on the other end.

I once unscrewed a screw and loosened part of the circuit board inside ... which tended to be a 'bear' to get back together. I learned the 'hard way' that it usually Spectrum tender bodies come free when the 'tabs' are pushed out of their socket.

hope this helps

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Virginian

I do not know which tender you have, because Bachmann does not designate a tender as the "long haul" tender that I am aware of.  The advice above is as good as I can muster.
"What could have happened... did."

pacifier

This is a 14 wheel tender. (catepillar?) There doesn't seem to be any seams along the sides, to, or bottom. it's as if the tender was cast as one piece.

r.cprmier

Caterpillar?  Hmmmm...SOunds like an earth-moving tender.  Does it have a plough on it anywhere? 
Joking aside, it is known as a "Centipede" tender-generally a four-wheel truck (sometimes used as a booster[see Franklin Booster-"Steam Locomotive Encyclopedia"-Kalmbach) in front of a rigid {usu} ten-wheel frame, the whole used under a tender requiring rather extreme fuel/water capacities.  That  wheel arrangement was oftimes used under tenders for the NYC J-3 Hudsons, and larger engines of that genre.  It was pretty neat to watch one of these mills storming down Hudson Valley at speed, comparitively little smoke; indicating a well-managed and efficient power plant!
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

But does Bachmann make a centipede tender?  In Spectrum?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Gene,

I am not aware of a Spectrum 'centipede' tender ... did Bachmann make one for a 'standard' steam loco at some time?

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The NYC Standard Line Niagara has a PT tender, the front of which is removable.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

pacifier

Thanks for all your help. The reason I couldn't figure out how to take it apar was because the previous owner took the speaker and DCC parts, and then for some reason glued the tray that held those parts inside the tender. Your comment about the removal of the front of the tender gave me a clue about disassembly. Thanks again

JohnT

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 12, 2007, 10:52:01 PM
Dear All,
The NYC Standard Line Niagara has a PT tender, the front of which is removable.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hi, i removed the front off the tender, what is next to remove the decoder. I would like to put a sound decoder in it. But in the exploded view i can't find out how to dismantle the tender so i can reach the decoder.

Please excuse my bad bad English, JohnT from the Netherlands.