News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

low power pack

Started by neilthomas, January 07, 2009, 03:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthomas

I have the Sante Fe  HO model set. The transformer however is very slow.What is the problem.D o Ineed a more powerful source to pull 6 cars & loco?

Yampa Bob

Hi Neil, welcome to the board.  What is the stock number of your set? Did you buy it new or used?  If used, how old is the set?

It the set is DC powered, you have a transformer that typically provides about .7 amp to 1 amp of current to the track, which is ample for one loco. A single DC loco shouldn't draw more than about .25 amp pulling 6 cars. Use an inexpensive digital multimeter to confirm the loco current draw. With the loco on the track and throttle at full, the DC voltage to the track should be very close to 12 volts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

Most new locos need a brief break-in period.  Run the loco at varying speeds, both forward and reverse, for about 15 minutes.  Then feel the shell around the motor to detect any heat build up caused by binding or lack of lubrication.

The cars probably could benefit from some fine tuning, such as reaming the truck journals with a special tool to remove burrs, and replacing any plastic wheelsets with metal ones. You can determine the drawbar force of the loco, and the required pulling force of cars by using a spring force gauge.

http://www.delta-education.com/productdetail.aspx?Collection=Y&prodID=1973&menuID=

It's also very important to keep locomotive drive wheels and track clean, using 91% isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner. If the loco needs lubrication, use only products that are plastic compatible, such as Labelle or Bachmann, and apply very sparingly.

Today's model trains are more sophisticated, and thus require a few specialty tools for testing. Anyway, suggest a thorough break-in, then let us know your progress.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.