News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mallet Speaker Recommendation

Started by lqdsky, January 07, 2009, 01:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lqdsky

Those of you that have installed a sound unit. Can you recommend a 3" speaker for me.

I will be using a QSI aristo chip. I have several QSI HP300S 8 ohm 3" speakers on hand. I have one in a K-27 Tender, in which I had to raise the board to fit.

Looks like I will not be able to do that with the Mallet and there is no clearance for this speaker, which has a large magnet at 1.7".

Any other 3" 8ohm, higher wattage speakers out there with a lower profile. All I have found were 3" but only .5 watts.

Thanks

Ralph

Phil Stump

Ralph, I used the sierra in mine with the sierra speaker. I had to raise the board about 3/16 of an in. for clearance  You might be able to get a little more. I think you coulld get as much as 1/4 in. A friend of mine told me he looked at and considered drilling holes inthe back of his cab and mounting a larger speaker in the coal bunker. Another thought if things get close and you are not feeling good about it would be to  insulate the top of the speaker with foam tape just for peace of mind. Good luck-----Phil

lqdsky

I have a Sierra unit in an Consolidation. The speaker does have a lower profile magnet, but the wattage is on the low end. Since the QSI card is able to produce 3 watts, I'm trying to get the larger speaker in.

If I raise the board to it's maximum height, I'm still unable to get the QSI speaker in. I need to find a speaker under 1.5"

I wonder if I should just use the QSI 2.5"speaker.

I was pleasantly surprised on how much better the Mallet looked compared to the pictures.

Thanks for the reply.