Covering board/plywood for basic layout

Started by Billiumss, January 07, 2009, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billiumss

Hi guys,

Since my son and I are getting into trains. I want to mount the track to a piece of plywood.

I remember as a kid there was green "grass" paper you could lay down on the plywood. It worked but kinda made a mess and could tear.

Is there anything better that can handle a little bit of abuse?

What about fabric from a fabric store like Joanne Fabrics?

My board will probably be about 50" x 75"

Just want something simple, looks good, cheap, and can take a few bumps here and there when we move the board.

Bill

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Billiumss on January 07, 2009, 09:17:29 PM
What about fabric from a fabric store like Joanne Fabrics?

Cheap green fabric is exactly what I use for temporary layouts, to cover the table top. With Bachmann nickel silver E-Z Track for the track, I find it makes a good base for a layout that isn't fastened down.

grumpy

Mike

There is a similar product made with plastic backing rather than paper backing. It holds up much better than the paper stuff.- Mike

Santa Fe buff

I recommend buying Woodland Scenics' Scenic Cement. Read the Instructions. Then buy some Woodland Scenics ground cover, it comes in a variety of colors. Although, a simple grass mat works a bit more of a kid that LOVES trains... ;)

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Billiumss

I'm going to stop by Lowes tomorrow and see what they have. My hobby store has a vinyl backed fake grass which is nice but its $30 a roll (50 x 100")

We want to keep it simple and cheap but dont want the plain plywood look.

Bill

Mike

Another method I use for creating ground cover is stop by Lowes or Home Depot paint department and buy some "oops" miss-tinted paint (20-$40 gallons go for $3- $5). I usually find tans, browns, and/or greens which can be mixed together. After painting the surface, I sprinkle a little dirt, sand, moss, lichen, etc. and let it dry. Blow away the residue after drying and it looks great. Good luck with your trains.- Mike

Billiumss

Quote from: Mike on January 09, 2009, 08:20:39 PM
Another method I use for creating ground cover is stop by Lowes or Home Depot paint department and buy some "oops" miss-tinted paint (20-$40 gallons go for $3- $5). I usually find tans, browns, and/or greens which can be mixed together. After painting the surface, I sprinkle a little dirt, sand, moss, lichen, etc. and let it dry. Blow away the residue after drying and it looks great. Good luck with your trains.- Mike

Thats a great idea! That would be a cheaper way to give my board some grass.

I stopped by Lowes and they dont have green indoor outdoor carpet in stock yet, probably in about a month. I think I'll just end up doing the above, the end result will look better than green indoor outdoor carpet plus my son can help more.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it!

Bill

SteamGene

Instead of Woodland Scenic Cement, get Elmer's white glue.  I use it both full strength and dilutted.  What I do is put some crumpled paper on a flat surface then run strips of cardboard over that and glue/tack/staple them to the flat surface.  You want to create a non flat surface.  That gets covered with plaster cloth, which I normally buy on e-Bay.  The old way was to wet newspaper with thin plaster.  After the plaster dries, paint it as mentioned with mismatched paint - which is cheap.  I then take fairly small sections of surface and paint it with full strength Elmer's.  On this I put either dirt colored Woodland Scenic ground foam or a basic grass foam.  This is followed by a different color, not as thick.  On top of that can go clumps, trees, shrubs, etc.  This takes a bit but gets rid of flatness and uniform color.  Do search for Woodland Scenic, Scenic Express, or a generic model scenery.  You will find lots of ideas.  And yes - a subscription to Model Railroader is a great way to start.  Woodland Scenics also publishes a nice "how to" book.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

usher42

How about using green felt andwould that keep the noise down.How abot using Aleenes orig. tacky glue to hold  down the tracks.

jshooky

Perhaps a sheet of styrofoam might be useful.