Why Do Hobby Shops Do This To People?

Started by rollndice83, January 08, 2009, 09:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollndice83

I am newer to model trains but my son is into them so he got me back into them. The last four or five hobby shops I went in to look at trains and supplies have turned their noses up at me. If you walk in with a train like mine.... Just a small Bachmann 0-6-0 N Scale Steam Loco..They act like you shouldn't even be there or you can't do model trains and have fun unless you have something that makes sounds or has a DCC PCB. They try pushing you out the door or selling you over priced top of the line trains when you are just getting into it. Is it just me or has a lot of people seen this??

I may be new to trains but I do fly and build mini-turbine engines and fighter jets that are remote/control. So I have mechanical knowledge and I'm also an aircraft and turbine mechanic but they still talk to you like you know nothing. :-\

Woody Elmore

I am not surprised at this posting. Several hobby shops in the NY metro area closed over the years. Now, granted, some of it was economics and changing interests but  two closed because of overbearing salespeople who had no personalities.  One guy seemed to be annoyed when anybody came into the store and asked questions. In another, the owner often would tell you it was too much trouble to order things.

I am glad to read postings about really good hobby shops. Good service with a salesperson who knows the products is worth the difference over mail order places.

Lt Jim

It is unfortunate that you had that experience. Were you looking for a set or to have something repaired? A lot of hobby store people are "train snobs", but most aren't. Unfortunately, it is the train snobs which often thwart newcomers to the hobby. If you cannot find a friendly hobby store, you can always ask questions here (or on other N Scale forums) and mail order what you want! :-)

I live in New York City and I am familiar with most of the stores in the area. I agree that there are more than a few "characters" out there who know how to make a customer feel unwelcome. On the other hand, there are quite a few helpful shops as well. I'd be interested to know which shops had the "overbearing" personalities! :-)

Terry Toenges

Lt. - Having lived in New York for a few years, I know of the "characters" you mention and they aren't just in the train stores.
I was so happy to move back to Missouri where people are friendlier. There are folks who thrive on the "cold rat race" environment, but I just didn't feel all warm and fuzzy up there.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jhanecker2

I must live right or something, most of the hobby stores around where I live are very nice to their customers .  Even in Chicago most of the stores were helpful . I must admit that I do have a low tolerance for incompetance , if I perceive that I am being  BS ed I vote with my feet and leave. Time is too short to waste .    With a depressed economy hopefully the bad apples will put themselves out of business .  J2

Paul W.

I feel very fortunate that I have multiple train and hobby shops within driving distance. I live in MD, only 12 minutes from the PA line, and 1/2 hour from Delaware.  For the most part, the folks have been a pleasure to work with. I have been in some where the people treat you like you are interrupting their day. I simply don't go back.  do have my favorites, and I'll drive the 50minutes to get to it. I also buy alot on-line to save on gas, but there are those times when I just want to walk around and look.
There are also some mail order companies that have very rude people working for them. I won't mention the name, but my wife won't order any train items from a particular large scale warehouse because of the way they treated her. I know they are working on their PR, and I haven't had the same issue with them, but she was very insulted.
It's a shame folks have to be like that. When we started visiting other peoples RR's during open houses, everyone was so nice and welcoming. We have made many new friends that we routinely talk to and see. Some of our very closest friends we met at open houses.
If you have questions, please post on this board as there is ALOT of knowledge, and friendly folks willing to help.

Sorry you had such a bad welcoming, but from us who enjoy trains......

Welcome aboard!   ;D
Happy Steamin'

Paul

James in FL

Like every hobby, and every hobby forum I have ever visited, there are cliques.
I won't say anymore about that.
I'm an N Scaler.
I have several B'mann 0-6-0's both solid and split frame.
Is there something I might help you with?

PhilipCal

Seems to me a place such as you describe, won't be in business too long. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"? With internet competition, and the economy, many would argue,(not me) that the hobby shop is a dying item. People with the attitude you describe, will make that happen all that much sooner. I'm personally sorry this happened to you. This is a great hobby, with some of the finest, friendly, most helpfull folks you'll ever find. Don't give up on us. :)

glennk28

A good hobby shop should be much like the bar in "Cheers"--an assortment of characters, each with his own way of doing things, and willing to share with others--Sales people willing to accomodate the unfamiliar,-- customers  who join in.   

Any really good shop I've ever ben in has been like this.   gj

Guilford Guy

Whoever can tell me how Cheers is related to trains(and it is) gets a brownie!

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience. I think the majority of us aren't that bad. There's one shop that I no longer shop at, after getting a nice lesson about freight and passenger cars. I found a much better shop, albeit a bit farther away, where the owner doesn't discriminate on age...
Alex

Santa Fe buff

I can do it GG!

U-20-B! U-2-0-B! HEY, G-E - What's that spell? U20B from G-E! HEY! ;D

Anyway, GG is right. Some are helpful, some are hard to get to. Others are annoying... >:( Mostly, though, they are nice, for a hobby is peaceful. Right? :)

Josh

- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

I suspect rollndice has had the misfortune of finding hobby shops where the owners see their stores only as a means of prying money out of customers' wallets.

I best train store I ever had the pleasure of dealing with is Trains and Such in Calgary.  Jim Scott was a model railroader here in Saskatoon before he moved to Calgary and started his business on a part time basis.  I believe he saw it as much as anything as a way to help other model railroaders.  That attitude led to the business becoming full time with a hand picked staff of modelers, all of whom were willing to help.  And it led to a  store that was always crawling with customers.  Jim has since retired, but the business continues, a tribute to the man who loved model railroading as much as his customers did.

At the risk of rambling, may I tell you of one incident I witnessed.  As another customer and I waited, a youngster with a dollar to spend was agonizing over buying a couple of junker cars or buying a package of new brass track.  Jim encouraged him to talk about what he could do with the one or the other.  He ended up sending the lad on his way with a fist full of good used nickel silver track and a good used car, either of which should have sold for more than a dollar.  The next customer, who had also been watching that sale, stepped up to the counter and dropped over five thousand dollars on four brass locomotives, all to be given custom paint jobs.  When my turn came, I asked Jim about the logic of dealing with a non-profit sale at the risk of losing a very profitable sale.  His answer was that they were both his customers.  And that maybe, when the young lad grew up, he would be buying brass locomotives two or three times a year like the high roller had.  After all, that man had been a customer since the days when he would come in with a dollar to spend.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WGL

Shortly after beginning this hobby, I went to the nearest hobby shop (a 60-mile round trip).  The owner's interest seems to be mainly model airplanes & automobiles, so he hired a part-time model train person.   I had them order some switches & track from Walthers & pointed out that they were on sale.  When I received them, I was charged the regular price.  I complained & was told that the boss did not want to do any more business with me & that the difference in price would have to come out of the train person's salary.  Since then, I shop only online.

rollndice83

Hey everyone thanks! At least I know I'm not alone. I will take all of your advice and stick to asking questions here. You are all very nice and helpful.  :)

gwfan

What is the problem with naming these people? Poor publicity might make them change their attitude. Are we all frightened of being sued for speaking the truth? I was ignored at Caboose Hobbies in Denver and felt insulted when they treated me as an ignorant foreigner - which I am (not ignorant just foreign). I didn't shop there again and purchased everything I needed on line. Excellent service and helpful telephone manner from both Trainworld and Charles Ro.
I recognise that Caboose Hobbies is very well thought of by many subscribers to this web site as well as my local club and therefore I will give them another chance. Hopefully I will be treated on my merits and the dismissive attitude was a one off. They lost about $2,500 worth of my business so who's the loser?
I feel badly for newcomers to the hobby and sympathise with any who get the treatment described by this post.

Chris
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22