News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New announcents

Started by Frisco, January 10, 2009, 01:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

Hi, I hearded that Bachmann will be making new ON30 announcemnts in February.

I have two questions about this.

1.Is this true

2.What will be the dates of this show?

Not trying to be pushy but I'm deciding if I am going to do HO or ON30 and this decision will be made by if Bachmann does anything Colorado Narrow Gauge this year. I really want to do ON30 but since I can only get one locomotive for my proto-type that I have space/money for I am really holding my breath. :-*

Linzthom

When in Feburary will that be? TIA
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

C.S.R.R. Manager

One thing is fairly certain... Whatever is announced next month has been in the works for months, if not years, so all of our suggestions at this point won't make a difference for this next round.  But, the flip side is that whatever they announce will be available fairly soon.

manager

Dusten Barefoot

Not trying to start an argument, but don't you think the colorodo narrow gauge has been modeled enough? I love all narrow gauge, but there are plenty more contributers to Colorodo narrow gauge other than Bachmann. The 2-6-0, is based off of a C&S 2-6-0, just would have to find a bear trap stack, most of the rolling stock is based off of colorodo stuff as well. If Bachmann was not to make any Colorodo NG this go around, don't leave On30 over that reason. You could go to MMI, and get some of the D&RGW models. I know I have heard that the quality of the sound in the models are crap, but you could replace the sound.

I heard that Bachmann basses their model off of rolling stock, and stuff closser to them. The ET&WNC 4-6-0 is not bassed off of #12, but off of a 30in'' gauge replica in latin america.

Take care
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Frisco

Quote from: Dusten Barefoot on January 10, 2009, 12:52:49 PM
there are plenty more contributers to Colorodo narrow gauge other than Bachmann. The 2-6-0, is based off of a C&S 2-6-0, just would have to find a bear trap stack, most of the rolling stock is based off of colorodo stuff as well. If Bachmann was not to make any Colorodo NG this go around, don't leave On30 over that reason. You could go to MMI, and get some of the D&RGW models. I know I have heard that the quality of the sound in the models are crap, but you could replace the sound.

Take care
Dusten
The other companies are

Accucraft They make great locomotives but not many. The D&RGW diesel switcher is great but it dosen't help much to have a switcher but no road engine. Their C-16 looks like it will be great but it won't be avalible untill December of 2010! Their freight cars are great but if their is nothing to pull them then they aren't much good.

MMI Pretty good locomotives but they cost a lot. I could get over this and just have a smaller roster but the radius they need is huge. I was thinking of getting their new 4-4-0 but it needs 24" curves. I may be able to get this radius of curve but I'm not shure yet and I don't want to spend $400+ on a locomotive that I can't use.

As for Bachmann they have the 2-6-0. The problem with it is that the only locomotive that it is athoutentic for is Colorado & Southern #22. It would need major surgery to represent any other locomotives that the C&S had.
The railtruck is great but again you can't do much with one railtruck.
The rolling stock is not based on Colorado proto types(although the passenger cars are pretty close). Most of the freight cars are based on Ohio River Western proto-types. I don't really have a problem with this since they look okay with the Colorado locomotives, but a layout with one steam locomotive one railtruck and a couple freight cars is not verry exciting.

To top this off just because it's a Colorado locomotive dosen't mean that it ran together. For example the 2-6-0 and railtruck ran many miles away from eachother.

I wasn't pushing for Bachmann to make new Colorado locomotives but I was just wondering when the next announcements are going to be.

I would not normally leave ON30 over something like this but I am going to be able to start my layout soon and I don't want to start a layout without knowing if I'm ever going to have any-thing to run on it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dusten Barefoot

I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Hamish K

New York Toy Fair 15-18 February 2009.  Bachmann will probably make some announcements, but not necessarily in ON30. I am not expecting a brand new ON30 locomotive, in the last couple of years these have been announced at the NMRA convention in summer.

I agree with Dusten on Colorado, with the other manufactirers involved there is not that much room for Bachmann. There was of course also BLI, with the C16 and the Goose, both are still advertised on their site, albeit some in strange liveries!

On radii, a lot of Colorado locomotives were very large for narrow gauge, and thus hard to model to take small radius curves. While Bachmann might be able to make them take tighter curves compared with some manufacturers, there would still be limits. That is probably one reason they chose small prototypes for the 4-4-0s.

Hamish

lvrr325

Suggest you look at the most recent Kalmbach Great Model Railroads annual magazine, it should still be out on better-stocked magazine racks or in hobby shops.

Has features on two different On3 layouts of Colorado prototypes, both well done, and neither with huge numbers of locomotives. 

Frisco

Quote from: lvrr325 on January 12, 2009, 12:13:06 AM
Suggest you look at the most recent Kalmbach Great Model Railroads annual magazine, it should still be out on better-stocked magazine racks or in hobby shops.

Has features on two different On3 layouts of Colorado prototypes, both well done, and neither with huge numbers of locomotives. 

Thanks I got it when it first came out and I have really enjoyed it.

MarK T

Isn't this the weekend for new announcements from the Toy Fair?? :)

Frisco

Yes, they are late on the ones for other gauges but they won't be making ON30 ones untill July at the NMRA National Convention.

epeorus

Frisco,

I have a 2-6-0 mogul, with bear-trap stack, and DCC (no sound) looking for a new home, if you are interested.  I will part with the whole shebang for $75.  Let me know:

jagore@stpt.usf.edu

Jim
The Jemez & Rio Grande, an On30 branch of the Chili Lines.