News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How can I make my locos run quietly?

Started by Kyle, January 07, 2009, 03:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

Please help, my model trains are louder than the real ones! Is there anything I can do to quieten down my Bachmann locos?

I have Woodland Scenecis  roadbed on 1/2 plywood.  This roadbed is a composite that is supposed to absorb the sound.

???

Jim Banner

If your track (with or without base) is sitting on a thin plywood or rigid styrofoam table top, these materials are probably acting as a sound board and amplifying the sound.  Try setting a few feet of your track on a piece of carpet or a throw rug and see if that quiets your train down when it passes over that section of track.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Running Bear

I have my Bachmann EZ-Track on white styrofoam on top of plywood and it's very quiet. When the track was on the plywood it was quiet loud.
Running Bear

pdlethbridge

Cork roadbed or homasote is good to quiet noisy trains. My trains can never be heard,,, unless I'm running them. ;D

Frisco

hotrainlover

I used strips of rubber that a acquired from a empty trailer.  It is black, and comes in a roll.  It is about 1/16th of an inch thick.  i just cut it to fit, and it easily stays in place, without any glue.  I am sorry I do not know what it is called, but the 25+ feet has lasted me for my whole layout.  The material is great for covering the curve sections of Woodland Scenic risers.

Dr EMD

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)