News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tips Using 18" & 22" Radius together

Started by Casy jHOnes, January 10, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

i have 18"and 22" curves in one spot .coming around the 22" outter curve .when it comes to the #5 wye . right after the curve . right b-4 the frog i am getting de-rails on some rolling stock .i have #5 at the other end of my layout along with r18 switches but that one spot is the only place .i dont see a difference in rail height and the frog appears to be fine .after the #5 i have straights going to the other #5 r-18 switches going to the 18"rad track but that one spot is the only place i am having problems.on an earlier post on layouts topic. on thortrains the layout is the 2nd line down with 22" outer and 18" rad loop .any ideas would help . gotta go check our blaster im at work .  lol but can't stop thinking about my trains .....regards mark f

mf5117

i came home 3:30 am  from work . my gf is having sergery at 5:30 .so anyway i ran my trains counter clockwise running straight through the #5 wye then into the 22"curve was fine . when i ran clockwise coming from the 22"rad then to the #5 wye i derail . "not my loco rolling stock" right before the frog . could this be a weight problem . also i noticed .im using my switches manuel now i still have to do the wiring. but the switch rail when moved in manuel seemed to move to freely . when i was at the hobby shop today i picked up some lead weights to weigh in my rolling stock .i was reading on the nmra site about the length of car and weight standards. they start with the 35' car and go up . i looked at the ajoining track and rails and it seems to be smooth but the one spot at the wye  im having troubles. maybe i should chang it out im not sure ......regards      mark f

Joe Satnik

Dear Mark,

Take a truck off the bottom of one of your cars. 

Push the truck around your layout with your finger lightly pressing down. 

You should be able to feel and hear the trouble spot.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: added "lightly"

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

grumpy

The simulated airhose on the coupler may be catching on the frog when moving in that direction.
Don

Joe Satnik

Mark,

Yampa Bob said it much better than I:

"Run a loose truck with metal wheels back and forth through the turnout with an index finger, listen and feel for any bumps or catching on the points, frog or wing rails."

I would add "Run across the track joints, too."

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mf5117

thanks for the info . i also bought a coupler gage sunday .and will do that as well this week . i ran this mourning when i got home from work . both loops running clock wise forward . one loco pulling 7 cars hoppers and boxers and caboose . the other pulling 4 . both loops ran good . just the other direction .i was going to ask the perks in using the single truck .and will do that . thanks mr.jim &yampa bob.  i did it with a 35' flat .but think the single truck like you say will be better as well .  i did notice that the ez track does have some rail alignment issues . i know its quick .and i went all out . but over all i,m happy with it . my 0 gage i use fast track and have an 8x12 layout and on the elevated at 0 theres a small pivot and at your peak theres a pivot and cornering some times is a problem . im not gonna be the pigion .im gonna be around for awhile . its great to meet and see what i call good people and friends ........i was trying to upload some pics of my layout and the site wont let me . i think there to big and maybe i should zip them .   have a great day . and will let you know the outcome ... regards markf