News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC switches or regular remote switches?

Started by hunter2115, January 12, 2009, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

I plan to add 2 crossover and 2 turnout switches on my EZ Command layout. I run 2 locos (which I may add sound to 1 down the road). My question is: Will I see a reduction in power to the trains with the DCC switches? Would I be better off just using regular remote switches powered off a seperate power pack?
Thanks

Jim Banner

DCC turnouts take power from the track only for a moment when you throw them.  So any power losses would be momentary.  And only if you were operating near the power limit of your command station would you see any hesitation in the trains.

On the other hand, if you cause a short circuit by running through a turnout that is set against you, you will not be able to clear the short by throwing the turnout if it is DCC powered.  This is because DCC turnouts are track powered, and during a short circuit, there is no track power.  The likelihood of shorting by splitting a switch depends on the type of turnout you use and how awkward it is to get to it.  (The latter is called the perversity factor.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.