News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noisy non-DCC loco on DCC layout

Started by Neo Fender, January 12, 2009, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

I have a Thomas HO locomotive that I just ran on a DCC layout.  The loco makes a steady noise at any time power is on, regardless of whether or not it's the selected loco.  The noise changes according the loco's speed.  The other two DCC locos work as usual.  The Thomas loco does too – just noisy.  All locos are new w/ < one hour of use.  Using a regular (non DCC) transformer = no noise.

Thoughts?

Cause for concern?

Thanks.

richG

DC loco on a DCC controlled layout will always buzz. All DCC controllers send pulses that will cause a loco motor to buzz. This can damage a motor that is sitting still as the DCC signal is always applied to the motor, even at zero throttle. Your best bet is to install a decoder.
With a DC power pack, all you are getting is DC.
Hard for me to explain. The signal is trying to turn the motor forward and backward at a high rate of change even when sitting still which causes the buzz. If you could see the track waveform, you would understand what I mean. If the armature is not turning and dissipating heat, the motor can be ruined. I see this issue quite a lot in DCC forums. Controller manufactures will not mention this usually.
The photo shows a typical DCC signal applied to the track. The pulses are there even with zero throttle and always applied to the loco motor for a DC only loco. The width of the pulses are varied for forward or reverse.

Locos with decoders send only positive or negative pulses to the motor. At zero throttle, no pulses.

Rich

Neo Fender

Understood.  Thanks for the info.

Quote from: richG on January 12, 2009, 07:32:02 PM
DC loco on a DCC controlled layout will always buzz. All DCC controllers send pulses that will cause a loco motor to buzz. This can damage a motor that is sitting still as the DCC signal is always applied to the motor, even at zero throttle. Your best bet is to install a decoder.
With a DC power pack, all you are getting is DC.
Hard for me to explain. The signal is trying to turn the motor forward and backward at a high rate of change even when sitting still which causes the buzz. If you could see the track waveform, you would understand what I mean. If the armature is not turning and dissipating heat, the motor can be ruined. I see this issue quite a lot in DCC forums. Controller manufactures will not mention this usually.
The photo shows a typical DCC signal applied to the track. The pulses are there even with zero throttle and always applied to the loco motor for a DC only loco. The width of the pulses are varied for forward or reverse.

Locos with decoders send only positive or negative pulses to the motor. At zero throttle, no pulses.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I like Jim's little poem about a DC loco sitting on a DCC track, hope he won't mind my quoting him:

"One step forward, one step back,
Please engineer get me off this track"......

(Credit Jim Banner, esq.)  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Neo,
Also, don't park an analog loco on a live track when it's not running or it will burn out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man