News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

AMS Logging Disconects w/Shay

Started by GovB, January 12, 2009, 07:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

Dear Friends,

Will the link & pin ends of the AMS 1.20.3 logging disconnects (AM32-210) line up with the link & pin connection on the 38 Ton 2 Truck Shay (#82197) I just bought? The AMS disconnects look too low from photos I've seen. Does anyone know if the two are compatible? Have photos?

Thanks, GovB
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Tom Lapointe

GovB, I can't answer your question for sure, but even on prototype logging railroads it was not an uncommon occurance for link-&-pin coupler pocket heights to be different. :o  The prototype solution was to use a bent link;  I've often seen this done as well on many model logging layouts.  I may eventually pick up some of the AMS disconnects myself (would have already if I didn't already own some of the LGB ones  ;) ).  The AMS ones are definetely better detailed.   8)  Also, in my own case, I use Kadees on my locomotives, just convert the end trucks on a string of disconnects to Kadees, retain the link-&-pins within a disconnect set (in my case, typically 6 disconnect trucks, or 3 "cars").   ;)                                      Tom

az2rail

I tried to post a couple of photos, but I guess I'm not smart enough. Any way, there is a 1/2" difference between the center of the disconnects link pocket, and the center of the lowest engine link pocket. the engine being the taller.

It can be done, but it might look a little funky.

I was planning on doing the same thing, but had not yet put the two together yet, until now. I have a couple of thoughts on fixing this, but I will have to try them before I suggest them.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Jon D. Miller

GovB

You can use a drawbar between the locomotive and the log car. Checking pictures of logging operations in any number of books will show that the use of a draw bar was common practice. The draw bar made it possible to couple to cars where coupler heights did not match.

This is a Heisler, but the locomotive drawhead will be similar to that on your 38 ton Shay.  Note the draw bar mounted in a pocket on the Heisler's front draw head.

If you don't want to make your own draw bars then they are avialable from Ozark.  www.ozarkminiatures.com

I've removed the factory supplied knuckle coupler and its mounting shank from all geared locomotives.  When required to pull coupler equipped cars I have modified couplers that fit into a drawhead pocket.  This was also common practice on locomotives equipped with link & pin drawheads.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

az2rail

JD-

Thanks for posting that picture, by the way, how'd you do it. Anyway, I was looking at some photos and that was one of the options I was looking at. Also, Kadee makes a coupler that will fit in the link pin pocket.

Bruce

Charlie Mutschler

I think the AMS disconnects are based on a Seattle Car & Foundry / Pacific Car & Foundry design, the "Hercules" disconnected truck.  These trucks were actually offered as both 'high' and 'low' versions, the low version being equipped with couplers lower than the high version, which were at the standard steam railroad coupler height.  Many logging railroads did not interchange equipment with common carriers, so they could use the lower coupler equipped trucks, and did.  There are some nice photos of coupling arrangements for these and standard height coupler cars on logging railroads in the Pacific Northwest in Labbe & Goe's "Railroads in the Woods," and in the collections of numerous archives and museums - look especially at photos taken by Clark or Darius Kinsey, who did a lot of work in the woods. 
Charlie
-30-

GovB

Thanks to all for this great info.

GovB :)
Happy Rails to You, GovB

GovB

After some internet searching, a computer crash, and more internet searcing, I was able to find an interesting "real-world" answer to my problem. It appears that Polson Lumber Co. of Tocoma had these Russel Wheel & Foundry Model 55 disconnects made with extended knuckles. Is there a way we can duplicate this in "our world"?

GovB ???

(http://4wheelrailroader.tripod.com/id11.html)

Happy Rails to You, GovB

Cascade Northern

Ah, the good old extended knuckles.  There are no G-Scale manufactures that make them (that I know of), but I am sure someone has done one by now....  I have looked into doing a couple myself, but lack of money and tools is holding the project back....  If I ever get around to actually building one, I will post photos.  Hopefully, someone else has made one and will post photos......

az2rail

Kadee makes off-set couplers that will do the same thing. With a little bit of filing they will fit right into the disconnect pockets, and will mate with other equipment using Kadee's also.

I use Kadee's on all my equipment, because I can make all my couplers to the right height with little work. But to make life easier, I only use Bachmann and Accucraft.

Bruce

charon

Bruce,
Amen to using the Kadee couplers on everything.  I have mostly Bachmann, but also LGB, USA, Aristocraft, Accucraft and Hartland - all with Kadee's.  They make so many different variations, you can always find one to fit (sometimes with modifications).
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line