News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Loco (DCC) Doesn't Run

Started by TiredGuy, January 15, 2009, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiredGuy

I picked up this Nickel Plate engine at an expo not knowing about DCC. I have a conventional layout and after attaching the two plugs from the tender to the locomotive all I get is dim lights. The engine doesn't run. How can I make this work on my layout?

Conductor Phillip

RAM

Does this locomotive have a decoder in it?  If not does it have the dummy plug? Was this a new locomotive?

TiredGuy

Yes. This unit is equipped with a 28-speed step decoder, factory programmed. Brand new. There are 3 small metal objects in a stamp sized bag. No idea where they go or what the're for.

the Bach-man

Dear Tired,
The berk should run out of the box on analog power. Contact the service department for help.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Retailer may have set the decoder to run using DCC only or the decoder may not be compatible with the DC power pack you are using.

There should be two small 3-pin wire jumpers included in the packaging. Bachmann refers to them as "dummy plug".

Carefully unplug the decoder from its 8-pin socket. Install the two dummy plugs per the For dummy plug installation diagram on the last page of the exploded diagrams.