News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HELP!! EBAY "SITUATION"

Started by bevernie, January 13, 2009, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

WGL I use my debit cards as credit cards and I save on costs, usually a $1.00 fee and I don't reveal a pin number. Best of both worlds.

WGL

One's bank statement with account information could also be sent to the wrong address, but it's not so easy to cancel a bank account.  :(

I didn't know that one could use a debit card as a credit card. 

Rangerover

I've used a debit card for all my online, pay bills, local purchases, and travel for the past 5 years. Mine is a Visa bank debit card, issued by my bank. It has the same safeguards as a Visa credit card. I believe that Visa and Master  debit cards are both treated like credit cards, but always ask your bank about these issues if you have any doubts, that's what I did. If there is a fraudulent transaction, it's treated the same as a credit card. It seems that some who really get stuck with either their credit or debit cards are by unscrupulous sales people, especially at gas stations, youngsters and foreigners, who carry a swipe card reader for their own criminal activities. Never allow someone to swipe your card on 2 different card readers. And notify the card issuer as soon as there is questionable activity on your statement. It can be reversed on either a credit card or a debit card, but you have to do the footwork. I have never had a problem, but I've known others that have with both type of cards.

Terry Toenges

I learned by experience never to use my debit card for online purchases.
My wife ordered something using the debit card and we got billed for more than the price quoted on the phone.
This was from one of the infomercials on TV.
While we finally got a refund, it took months of writing to the BBB and to the State AG to get our refund. The bank was no help.
In the meantime, our bank account was screwed up because the company deducted more than they were supposed to.
Another problem with online debit paying is if your computer goes down. That just happened to me.
Last Sunday night, I was trying to replace my CPU. I screwed up the new one. I tried to put the old one back in and screwed it up, too. I had to wait until Tiger Direct delivered me a new one. I got it yesterday and I was able to finally to get back on line last night.
There is no place down here that sells CPU's and I would have had to make the 160 mile round trip to find a store in St. Louis to buy the CPU. I don't have a St. Louis phone book and couldn't look for stores online, 'cause the computer was down.
Feel like a Mogul.

Britton

Quote from: bevernie on January 13, 2009, 11:42:32 AM
GREETINGS!! ;D About 3-4 weeks ago, I won an auction on Ebay(A nice train!). The final cost was $30.85, so I went and got a money order and sent it off (Dec. 22). Well, the person on the other end never got it. I learned that it will costs $10 to trace the MO, but they can only tell you if it has been cashed. They do not do stop payments or do refunds. What should I do?
            1. Do the trace just to see if it has been cashed.
            2. Swallow my loss and get another MO (From the POST OFFICE!!).
            3. Just forget the whole thing!
            4. Any other suggestions? ???
                                                                                            THANX!!
                                                             8)                               Ernie

Britton

If you have to use money orders I recommend Western Union and always keep the receipt with the tracing number you can see if it has been cashed by yourself by using the numbers on that receipt, also they will stop payment if you can send in the original receipt and amount and they will issue you a new Money order in your name. I would pursue it never take no as an answer its your money and your merchandise. If you find out that it has been cashed but you have received nothing you can report that seller to Ebay! Good Luck.

thirdrail

First, I will have nothing to do with PayPal as it royally messed up ticket payments for a series of events a volunteer organization I was a member of used it for. We got the money, but no advice as to what it was for!

When dealing on eBay I either pay by credit card or Cashier's Check. The advantage of a Cashier's Check is that you CAN stop payment and have a new one reissued. Fortunately, my credit union will give me up to six a month at no charge since I'm over 55.

I'm not sure about that Jan. 15 PayPal only advice, as Larry Lowrey (GATCO) is still selling on eBay and he won't touch PayPal either.

If I see something I'm interested in, I'll email the seller and ask if he takes credit cards or Cashier's Checks. If not, it's his loss, not mine. And, I've had a 100% favorable rating since I started on eBay in 1999.

Irocian

If you buy on ebay and then pay with a Postal Money order if the seller cashes it and does not send the item it is Postal Fraud and serious charge.
I have bought and sold on ebay with over 2000 items changing hands and i have had postal orders lost and they were tracked after 30 days and then refunded if not found and cancelled.
Then you send another payemnt to seller showing him proof you sent a payment and that it was lost and therefore you have done what you had to do to get your money back and then get seller payment.

jacksonjag

Ernie - According to the USPS website, you can fill out Form 6401, & pay a fee of $5.20 for a lost Money Order!  (assuming you sent a Postal MO)

hotrainlover

I have used Postal MO's a lot.  When I first started using them, I did NOT know, and was sending BOTH copies of it to the sellers...  That was wrong.  I was actually lucky, and was notified by one of the SELLERS that I was doing it wrong....  It is good to ask questions, when trying new payment methods!
My point is this...

If you have not paid the Ebay person, AGAIN, you need to.  You may have to take the loss, while (maybe) waiting for your money.  It is a SMALL price to (re-) pay, compared to not having your bids accepted, due to negative feedback.  Ebay stores will NOT usually work with neg. buyers...

Whoever said-  "communication" was the key, is absolutely correct....

jwoj69

YOU SEE THIS IS A TOUGH ONE, I DO BOTH ON EBAY BUY AND SELL. USUALLY I WOULD BITE THE BULLET AND USE PAYPAL.  YOU PAY FEES AS SELLER, BUT IF THERE IS A PROBLEM.
THEY WOULD STEP IN, AND SO FAR I MANAGE NOT TO GET STIFF IN 8 YEARS,. NOW WE HAVE NEW RULES AND YOU CAN'T USE MONET ORDERS ANYMORE. TO ME ITS UP TO YOU CUSTOMER (AND A LOT OF PEOPLE HATE PAYPAL) BUT IN THAT CASE GET AT LEAST TRACKING 65 CENTS!!! BUT SINCE IS TOO LATE, OPEN COMMUNICATION, SOMETIMES ASK FOR HELP (DISCOUNT TO COVER SOME LOSS) MAY WORK. SPENDING ADDITINAL $10 JUST TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPEND WILL PUT YOU EVEN DEEPER TO LOSS UNLESS SELLER GOT YOUR MONEY ORDER AND SAYS HE DID NOT.
BUT NEXT TIME PAPYPAL OR AT LEAT USPS WITH TRACKING.
AND YOU SHOULD KEEP WITH SELLER ( IF YOU USE MONEY ORDER), GIVE HIM THE TRACKING. SO THIS BOTH OF YOU KNOW WHERE IS THE MONEY,..
JACK