News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann to the rescue

Started by Jim Banner, March 20, 2007, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

An older die cast Mikado, made I believe by Mantua, has just received a new lease on life thanks to a Bachmann motor salvaged from a damaged F40PH.

There is more information on this remotoring job at this link:

http://members.shaw.ca/the.trainman/Mantua-mike/

And if anyone has any information about the sound system in this locomotive, I would really appreciate hearing from them.  I have never seen one before, nor have I been able to find a reference to one.  Maybe it isn't Mantua? 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lanny

Jim,

My only 'input' on your remotoring job is that it is 'awesome' work! Very well done and a very well written, informative article too.

Hope you get the sound system working.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Hoople

Very lucky you found a sound system in the tender. I just wonder why the motor had to be so far back though.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Jim Banner

Thanks, lanny.  Actually, the sound system is now working.

Hoople, there were two considerations in putting the motor so far back.  One was the cavity inside the body is wider at the back.  Keep in mind this is a die cast locomotive, basically a large lump of metal with just enough taken away to allow room for the original motor and shaft.  The other consideration was that the farther forward you move the motor, the more you have to tilt it to keep the worm and pinion in mesh.  If I moved it forward a bit, the top of the motor would hit the top of the motor cavity.  I would have to grind the cavity bigger, but would still require the steady bearing.  If I moved it forward a lot, the top corner of the motor would be sticking through the top of the firebox.

Tim

Jim

Two clues that will determine the make of the loco.

1: The cast on compressor shields on the pilot deck.
Used on dicast pacific & mikado.
2: The axle bearings are removable brass bearings.

The above are "Mantua" trademarks.

The sound must be aftermarket, I don't remember "Mantua sound"

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

Stephen D. Richards

Did you turn the shaft and flywheel yourself?  Looks very good!   Stephen

Woody Elmore

I've never heard of a Mantua mike with factory installed sound, but then, I've never heard of a lot of the new actors who are making movies.

That conversion is really a nice job. As I've written in other posts the Mantua mechanisms have a lot going for them. If I had that mechanism I would try to mount a flywheel where the long shaft is located.

brad

The mounting pad for the old motor looks  like a Mantua product as does the generic plastic cab.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Stephen D. Richards

Brad,  that's a good idea!  I was considering something a lot less than Jim but you gave me a real good idea to try!  You not only need mass for a flywheel but the bigger the diameter of the flywheel the smoother it wil operate (in theory)  Centifugal force that may be redirectd to centripetal force.  Basically turning the force generated from the larger diameter flywheel and turning it back on itsef to the driveshaft!  Turn a cone shaped Flywheel and place it in the area of the driveshaft!  I don't know if it will work but sounds like it's worth a try.  When I can get back home I'm going to try that.  I have several old steam locos for refit.    Thanks,   Stephen

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Actually,  Manuta did have factory installed sound at one time.   Back in the 70's,  they made a sound tender that was powered off a 9 volt battery.  One of the trucks had a bunch of gears and things.   So obviously,  all you got was the "chuff sound"  of interrupted white noise,  but at the time it beat out the Tyco hi-cubed boxcar with the plastic wheel with a rubber "tire" around the wheel,that stuck thru the bottom of the car
and rubbed on the track.   The wheel had one baffle inside and some "beans"   As the car moved and the wheel turned,  the baffle would scoop up the "beans" and in turn drop them,  thus the "chuff sound".   As I recall,  the car only came lettered for Baby Ruth candy bars.
      Man...........have we come a loooooong way or what!!

Bob

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

Jim,

Having built them from kits, remotored, and superdetailed a number of them, not to mention repairing lots of them years ago as the local hobby shop repair guy, I can tell you it is definately a Mantua loco.

Very nice job, but a lot of work when you can just buy a drop in combination can motor regear kit for it from Alliance Products - www.alliancelink.com/alp/

I am actually making a parts list for three such projects now, two Pacifics and a Mike that I picked up at very low cost.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I've heard the Mantua sound system.  Toy train.  Those who dislike current sound systems would probably get sick.  Clear it out and put something new in the tender.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Quote from: SteamGene on March 20, 2007, 11:08:10 AM
I've heard the Mantua sound system.  Toy train.  Those who dislike current sound systems would probably get sick.  Clear it out and put something new in the tender.
Gene
The sound system is a novelty that will probably not see much use.  To my ears, all sound in small scales is "toy train" sound.  Large Scale sound is a lot closer to the real thing, particularly if played LOUD, somewhere near the threshold of pain.  Having said that, I suspect those who do not dislike current sound systems would find the sound from this system very similar to the cuff sound in a Big Hauler.

Sheldon, thanks for the link but I enjoy the challenges and unique solutions, much like I enjoy scratch building.  I must admit that I did spend some time on the NorthWest Short Line website and finally decided that if I was going to spend that much money, I might as well just buy a new locomotive.  But I had more fun this way.

To others who have helped identify this locomotive, I am embarassed to report that when I went to remove the bottom cover to look for brass bushing, I found, with the help of a good magnifying glass, that the "paint run" on the bottom cover was actually the word "MANTUA." 

Atlantic Central

Jim,

Your are right that such projects can get moderately expensive. I am planning on refurbishing the Mike and two Pacifics I just picked up, not because it will be a bargain, but because of the poor selection of Pacifics and Mikes currently on the market and because, like you, I will enjoy it.

Again, looks like you did a great job with that.

And, I agree, sound is great in large scale, but in all the smaller scales sound like my 1963 9 transistor radio between stations.

Sheldon