News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC CONFUSION!!

Started by TOMOTS, January 09, 2009, 11:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMOTS

DCC sounded so great, until I brought it home.  Why can't I program all of the CV's on the Bachmann decoder?  The Bachmann decoder has all the functions I want, but I can't reprogram all of them?  Is this correct and if it is, then why?

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
What DCC system are you using? You may need a programming track booster.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Which locomotive or decoder are you trying to program?

CNE Runner

We really need to know a couple of facts: what DCC system are you using, and which Bachmann locomotive are you trying to program? I use the MRC Prodigy Advanced system and could NOT program my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s. On either this forum, or the Model Railroader forum, it was suggested that I purchase a Soundtraxx programing booster (PTB-100) and separate programing track (this is not needed with Atlas engines BTW). I followed that excellent advice and can report that I now am able to program both of my 4-4-0s without any problems. The programing booster is relatively inexpensive and really easy to wire. According to the 2008 Walthers catalog this unit costs $59.95...although you can get it much cheaper from a discounter. Get back to us when you get the chance with more information.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

TOMOTS

I had purchased the Bachmann train set with two Command Control diesels.  I was under the impression that the Bachman EZ Command system could control and progam all of the CV's on the decoder in the engines.  So, please correct me if I am wrong, but the EZ Command system can only reprogram the ID of the unit.  The speed steps, light control, momentum and all that, can only be programmed by buying a whole different DCC unit? 

Hunt

The  E-Z Command Control Center (Item No. 44902) does what it was designed to do. The unit is designed, using DCC technology, to provide independent control of a few digital locomotives and turn on/off some sound functions if the locomotive's decoder is equipped with sound.

Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center has limited CV programming capability.

You need a different DCC system if your requirement is to take full advantage of what DCC has to offer.

Jim Banner

The E-Z Command is an entry level system that is very easy to learn to operate.  To simplify the learning process, and to keep it affordable, E-Z Command has limited capabilities.  It will allow you to run multiple trains on a single track, which is the basic concept of Command Control.  It does not require the complications or expense of multiple throttles but instead relies on a simple, straight forward system to switch its built in throttle among your trains.  The ability to set an address and a normal direction of travel for up to 10 locomotives is plenty for most small layouts.  And most locomotives can function quite well with the default instruction sets preprogrammed into most new decoders.  

For the first time model railroader, E-Z Command is affordable at a time when the costs of benchwork, track, accessories and scenery are all eaing up the budget.  Moreover,  it does not demand a great deal of learning time during the period when the model railroader is busy learning the ins and outs of benchwork, track plans, and so forth.

But E-Z Command is what it is.  If you must have multiple throttles (such as for group operating sessions) or you must be able to change other CVs for special lighting effects or for speed matching multiple brands of locomotives, or you must control some of the other capabilities that your decoders may have, then you are probably no longer an entry level user and the E-Z Command may not be enough for you.  You may still find it a useful method of running your trains, but you will need access to a more comprehensive system for initially programming your decoders.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

TOMOTS

Thanks for all the info on the facts about EZ Command.  It was a big help.  I would now ask you all, what unit is best for programming decoders, both Bachmann and others.  I was looking at the Digitrax Zephyr, but I really would like to hear your experieces from using different units.  I would eventually get in to sound from the trains also. 8)

Jim Banner

The Digitrax Zephyr is a good choice.  For programming decoders, it has all the features of Digitrax's top of the line Super Chief without the cost.  It has problems reading some decoders, including Bachmann decoders, until you connect a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails.

Some sound decoders can give the Zephyr a headache unless you use the built in "blast mode" programming to overcome their resistance to reprogramming.  Or you can use Operational Mode (on the mainline) programming for these recalcitrant decoders.  Most other brands of DCC recommend either a special booster or Operational Mode programming for these decoders but that entails either extra costs or the risk of losing control of the decoder when you try to reprogram a 4 digit address.

The biggest drawback of the Zephyr is that is can control only the first 10 functions and your choice of sound decoder may have more.  There are rumours that Digitrax is addressing this problem, potentially with a software upgrade, but nothing definite at this time.  As it stands now, you can program the all the CVs for all functions, you just cannot make the ones over #9 operate (unless you have an upgrade external throttle, but that is another story.)

The other drawback of the Zephyr is that all that capability means you have to learn a lot more to make use of it all.  If computers scare you, then maybe it is not the system for you.  But if you are comfortable with your computer, then learning to run the Zephyr should not be a major problem.

One last comment on the Zehpyr is how it fits in with a growing railroad.  Out of the box, it can easily run a small layout.  It is possible to switch its one throttle back and forth between running locomotives, but not as easily as for example the E-Z Command.  Instead, most people add another throttle or two or up to 9 more if you want.  Each can independently control a locomotive with NO switching of throttles between locomotives.  Such throttle do not have to bought all at once for fear that the manufacturer will change his system, rendering your investment obsolete.  In fact, extra throttle do not even have to be bought new.  Virtually everything Digitrax makes is compatible with everything they ever made.  And if your layout ever outgrows it, your Zephyr can still work as an extra throttle and as a slave booster with any other Digitrax command station.  When I switched from MRC's original DCC system to Digitrax, I started off with a Zephyr.  It has outlived two incompatible generations of MRC systems, and is still going strong.  I use it for programming ia variety of scales and as the command station for my outdoor layout.  It has since been replaced as the command station for my indoor H0 layout, but still serves as standby for that layout if I ever have a problem with my other command station.

Nathan

There are many fine systems out there.  Jim has had good luck with Digitrax.  I have had good luck with NCE.

NCE hasan entry level system called the Power Cab.  Like the Zepher, it can 'grow' as you need it, and the cab can be used with the NCE PowerPro series of DCC systems.

Sound Decoders seem to give all the systems problems when using the program track.  The Power Cab seems to have the fewest problems, but if sound is your thing you may want to buy one of the special 'sound decoder program boosters' that several companies have out.

Programing 'On The Main' is avaliable on most systems and once you learn how to do it you can solve most programing problems.

Jim Banner

one other factor in selecting a system that we have so far neglected to mention:
- what do your friends/ the local club/ other model railroaders in your area use?

It is hard finding help with a PC if you live in an all Mac world.  Same with DCC.

SteamGene

Does anybody know if JMRC is compatable with EZ-Command?  If so, using JMRC should solve the problem of programming other CVs.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

quote jim banner:It is hard finding help with a PC if you live in an all Mac world.  Same with DCC.
I'm so confused I switched to ubuntu linux 2 years ago.