News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First Load & Upload

Started by WGL, January 16, 2009, 03:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

This year, my home town of Coleraine, MN, celebrates its centennial.  This train pulled the first load of iron ore from the Oliver Mining Company's Canisteo open pit mine at Coleraine, Minnesota in 1909:

Can anyone identify the locomotive?

I finally inserted a photo!  Thanks, guys!

SteamGene

It's an 0-6-0 probably built between 1890 and 1905.   
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Personally, I use the mouse to copy and paste.

Right click and select "copy".  Right click, select "paste".  Don't need the distraction of the keyboard.

The right mouse button is your best friend.

richG

Hi WGL

You can modify your first message until you select the correct code, img code. I did that a couple times when I started using Photo Bucket. When the code is correct, the image will show up right away.
Very easy. I use the mouse or keyboard for copy and pasting depending on what I want to do at the time.
You have to remember, the mouse was invented to slow down PC users as keyboard is faster.  ;)

I started using PCs many years ago when we only had keyboard and command line. Actually very quick when you know what the proper keys are. Tough to believe.

Rich

WGL

Thanks, guys, for all of the helpful information.
  I'm of the mouse click era & started using a computer in 1993.  I wondered why I couldn't copy a picture from my computer, paste it to Windows' clipboard & paste it into a post.   ???

Loco Bill Canelos

Looking over the engine I noticed the rectanular builders plate and would guess this loco is from the American Locomotive (ALCO) works, but no way of knowing what plant.  From the headlight and cab style I would guess the loco was built between 1902 and 1907, but it is just a guess based on other Alco pictures I have seen.

Here is a good bit of info on the Railroad:
http://www.missabe.com/oliver.html
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

richG

Hi WGL

One thing to remember when using Photo Bucket. Try to plan what albums you need. If you ever move a picture to another album, the link to any forums will disappear. You will be surprised at how many photos you can upload. It gets more difficult to remember where the photo is with just one or two albums.
If you realize a photo should have a different album. Just upload the photo to the new album and leave the duplicate where you first put it.
I thought I was only going to upload a few pictures but it got out of hand quickly.

Rich

WGL

Thanks, Loco Bill, for the link to Oliver Iron Mining Company!  I found it very interesting.  I enjoyed seeing the Canisteo-Coleraine locomotives.  I remember the washing plant by Trout Lake, where I spent many hours of my youth fishing.  An ore dump overlooking the lake later had an airfield built on it, & now a golf course covers it!  The Oliver owned most of the lakeshore, which left it mostly wild.  After they sold to developers, the lake became encircled by a road with houses built on both sides of the road!  Although we lived in Coleraine, my dad worked 35+ years for Cleveland Cliffs at their Holman Mine by Taconite, MN.

Thanks, RichG, for the added information about PhotoBucket.

CNE Runner

What a neat 0-6-0! I checked my collection of late 19th/early 20th century engines and, from the rectangular builder's plate, I would be inclined to say this was an ALCO product. This is not a definitive identification as there were numerous locomotive builders at this time: Baldwin, ALCO, Brooks, Rogers, Richmond, Danforth and Cooke...just to name a few. I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a steam generator on the boiler (just ahead of the cab) which would mean that headlight was kerosene (or coal gas) fired. One didn't go too far into the 20th century when virtually all locomotive headlights were electric (the small chimney on the headlamp assembly also is a dead give-a-way). This means the picture was probably taken in the very late 1890s or very early 1900s. The 0-6-0 wheel configuration was somewhat rare; as American 4-4-0s handled almost all switching duties during this time period...although the 0-6-0 does put more tractive effort on the wheels.

It looks like a cold morning for the little goat to be working; and I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be any steam exhausting from the frost cocks to indicate that the injectors and piping were being heated. In frigid temperatures, our runners on the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut are careful to keep those vital parts warm on our 4-4-0s.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"