News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beyer-Garrett

Started by ebtnut, January 16, 2009, 12:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie30inch

hello everyone

I agree with nick. It is a hard thing choosing a selling type, As much as i adore our G alss there were only 2 and only here in Victoria and the SAR NGG- 16 although now a great preserved type all over the world, is pretty limited. Could you amaginge a K-28 at puffing billy? hard to do.

But I do believe that a garrett would be an excellent choice to produce maybe some thing along the simple garrett lines of an NGG 11 or simular that would fit in any time or place.

What do you think Mr Bachmann?

Lets not give up on the Idea of a garrett  there to good to pass by! :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Geoff

ksivils

Given the propensity of many On30ers to "bash" everything - perhaps a better suggestion for a Garratt - if Bachmann were to produce one - is which, if any, particular Garratt can be converted into other Garratts the easiest.

I want a NG-16.  How hard would it be to bash a NG-11 into a NG-16 or something close enough to pass from arm's length while pulling a train?

Can a NG-11 be easily bashed into other Garratt's?

Would a NG-16 make a better starting point to bash other Garratts with a similar wheel arrangement?

How difficult would it be to use a NG-11 as a starting point for an aftermarket kit manufactuer to create the other desired Garratts?

Just a thought.  This might be a way for many modelers to get what they each want without too much trouble.

spcrr_satx

When a Beyer-Garrett becomes available, in On30 and/or in HO, I'll be in line to purchase one!

On the SouthWest Narrow Gauge Yahoo Group list several years ago there was an extensive discussion of Garretts, including "what-if" Garretts were purchased for testing on the NG RRs of North America.  Wouldn't a Garrett have looked spectacular on the D&RG, the C&S, or the SPNG?

When one becomes available, I'll probably keep one "stock", and kitbash a second one into an "American Garrett".  What that will look like I won't know until I build it, but it will be fun to build and an eye-opener to operate . . . especially with an articulated loco sound unit atted!

Cheers, SPCRR_SATX

Steve Magee

You mean HO like this? :)

http://eurekamodels.com.au/Garratt.html

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Klingsor

I saw a couple of the Eureka HO Garratts running with sounds a couple of years ago at a small local show. For me at least they were very much the highlight of the show. Amazingly big and beautiful machines but terribly expensive.

The problem is market size. How big is the non-American market for on30 compared with the American market for Bachmann? I fear the American market is by far the larger part and the 'rest of world' bit is just icing on the cake for Bachmann so we are only going to see American prototypes. A shame but good business sense.

uscgtanker

Beyer garratts have a special place in model railroading and should be. as often as we see mallats these are really nice engines. They how ever did have draw backs in real operation, when full was used the weight on the drivers decreased. To make these models wouldn't really pay for the tooling to be productive. Otherwise skratch building with 3D printed parts using bachmann mechanisms will be the best way. I have the Hon30 G 42 3d printed engine sitting on my desk and does it look nice. If anyone has the program and the skill to make it that will do everyone well.