News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Life Like GP-30 phase 1 not running

Started by Michigan Railfan, January 10, 2009, 10:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan Railfan

I recently bought Life-Like's Proto 2000 series GP-30 phase 1 locomotive, and i'm having trouble running it.  I have not yet put the body shell on yet, but that shouldnt matter, should it?  The loco makes a vibrating noise, like it's trying to move.  I can see what I think is the worm gear move for about 5 seconds, loco moves, then it won't move and makes the vibrating sound again.  Anyone know what could be wrong?

Guilford Guy

Try replacing the axles. They may have split gears.
Alex

Tylerf

Proto 2000 is a really good quality run of locos, if it was brand new when you got it and it has never really run, I think the best thing to do would be to return it instead of tampering and possibly damaging it.
Tyler

Guilford Guy

How old is the loco, many early runs had SGS(Split Gear Syndrome)
Alex

Michigan Railfan

Guilford Guy, like I said, I had just bought it, and i'm pretty sure that it was a limited edition run, so it couldnt've been too old.  I agree with Tyler, they are good quality locomotives.  When I was in the middle of typing this, my dad and I went down into the basement where my layout is.  We brought the loco up, and put the shell on.  We finally got it to run, but not that good.  It made a very loud noise, like you know how on E-Z Track when any loco goes over the joiner, but about 2x as loud.  It also made a squeaking noise, and was also kind of jumpy.  Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?  Any replys would be helpful.

Guilford Guy

Watch the trucks, does one seem to kind of hop a little when running? It really does sound like SGS...
Alex

bobwrgt

Limited adition is on many things that are Not. It's used to sell more. You will have to exchange  it for a new one or check the wheels for cracked gears.
This is a very common problem with GP30's. Remove the cover on the bottom of trucks and take out each wheel assembly. Look for crack in plastic gear. If you can hold the gear with your fingers and turn the wheel on the side the gear is cracked. Contact Walthers and they will send you new gears or wheels under warrenty. You can also use Athearn gears or wheels from the SD40-2.

Bob

Guilford Guy

Actually any Athearn wheelset will work. If you are the first owner Walthers honors P2k free replacement of the wheelsets, and will send you new wheelsets.
Alex

Michigan Railfan

Thanks for the options.  Later, i'm probably going to take the cover off for the wheel sets, but there's just one problem, I don't know how.  If you know how, please respond, and if that's not the case, I'll have to return it.

Guilford Guy

Turn the loco upside down in a cradle.
Take a flat head screw driver and stick it under one end of the cover plate and pull up, then do it on the other end, and it should pop right off...
Alex