A small start, but getting there

Started by Michael J. Caboose, January 17, 2009, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael J. Caboose

Since November, I've been working on a small 2x4 module type layout. Its going to be entered into a train show in St. Pete, Florida at H&R Trains. I knew once I had the sheet of plywood, I wanted to do a locomotive servicing terminal. Since you can't really run HO scale trains on a 2x4 continuously, I figured I'd do something that could at least show off the motive power I had.

It isn't modeled off of any specific prototype, I just wanted to do something to get out of the armchair and try it out. I learned so much about airbrush techniques, ground covering, construction and planning. Allow me to share what I started with, up to today.

A blank sheet of plywood, painted flat black, with some track and roadbed.

A coaling tower I've scratch-built from cardboard and sheet styrene.

Here is some more progress. The coaling tower has legs, and there is ground cover.

Here it is today

The coaling tower is painted.

My first locomotive painting project. I took my all black Rivarossi Big Boy, and gave it a UP Harbor Mist Gray smokebox, something I've been itching to do since I bought it off a member here 3 years ago. I also painted the wheels and running gear grimy black. It's just awaiting a dullcoat. It's sitting on the wash racks, waiting to be rubbed down.

A BLI Mike sits under the tower, about to progress towards the sanding tower. There is a Big Boy right next to it, thats a Revell 1:87 scale model kit, all plastic. It's just to make the yard look more populated.

Last, my best running locomotive, the Bachmann Connie. Just hanging out next to a shed.

I still need to add details, and people. Does anyone know what kind of "junk" would be found around a servicing terminal?

And yes, I plan to add on to this in the future. I already have many ideas for an around the room type layout.

Thanks for looking.

Regard,
MJC

Pleas excuse the terrible photography.  :o

RAM

It look great.  try painting the yellow building black on the inside.

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you. Its not just finished yet, there is still a lot of painting to be done, and details to be added. I grabbed that shed out of the bottom of a box full of junk, figured it might be useful somewheres.

Santa Fe buff

Where's the vegitation?  ;) Anyway, you have a great "Layout", and it's very impressive. I'm looking forward to updates! ;D

Keep it up!

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Vegetation would be in the form of weeds and clumps of grass and weeds.  For junk - old drivers, rods, tools scattered around, boxes, crates, drums, ties, cable, - get the picture?
Nice work. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tom Lapointe

Looks GREAT! ;D  Love your scratchbuilt coaling tower!  8)  Tom

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you all for the kind comments and suggestions :)

As far as vegetation goes, I'll be adding some weeds sometime next week. I put some sand in the sand bin, and the buildings are glued down and painted. There is also some inspection pits right behind the coaling tower, and there is some sand spillage on the tracks

I'll look around for some old parts in my junk box and scatter them around.

Thanks again everyone. I'll have new pictures up once the camera charges.

Regards,
MJC

hotrainlover

I took a Revell Hudson Kit, that I bought, and cut the parts off the sprunes; and used those as rusted parts all over my layout.  That would be great for the engine service areas...

Terry Toenges

It's looking real good. Anticipating more pics as you get farther along.
Feel like a Mogul.

Rangerover

Nice job all the way around, scratchbuilding is one of the most rewarding, can't wait to see more.

Yampa Bob

Hi Mike,

Looks really great, nice work. 

Are you planning on some kind of railing around the layout?  This is what I used around mine, serves the purpose and adds a nice finishing touch. Made in 6 foot lengths, I used the silver but also made in satin brass.

http://www.fdsons.com/-c-1046_67_1347_1362.html

On my layout, I just slipped the flat part between the plywood base and the homasote. The curved portion only sticks up above the homasote 5/8", but keeps my trains off the floor.  Most hardware or lumber stores have them in stock, ask for "M-D" (Macklanberg-Duncan), part numbers shown on the site. 

Is that the Connie we discussed earlier?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you again for all the compliments.

Yeah Yampa, thats the Connie. She gave me a lot of trouble this past week. Seems the axle gear has worn so the worm gear only catches it half way, causing sporadic operation. She's getting sent in to Bachmann Service on Monday for repairs.

I haven't decided on railing yet, but that product looks promising and I'll keep that in mind when the time comes. The layout isn't even sitting on any sort of benchwork, and I can't buy any lumber until my economic situation improves.

Thanks for the idea for the junk hotrainlover, next time I see one of those kits I'll be sure to snatch it up.

And thank you for all the nice comments on the coaling tower. I've never made anything from scratch and it is my centerpiece, even though it's near the left edge :)

I've made some headway not on the module itself, but the locomotives. All the motive power has been weathered (well, its not rusty, but not shiny new). Heres a quick run down.

Revell static Big Boy model has been painted, weathered and decaled (Has one decal that has ripped, to be replaced tomorrow).

The Rivarossi Big Boy has been detailed, decals on the number boards, and slightly weathered to give it a more clean look.

The Bachmann Connie was painted and weathered. I cut off the marker lights on the top of the smokebox and mounted them on the front. I was going to add the Cal-scale number boards but I will wait until she returns home from the shop.

Last but not least, my current pride and joy. My Broadway Limited Blueline Mikado. It has been more heavily weathered. I added Cal-scale numberboards with decals, a tool box on the tender, and a custom made Sweeny smoke stack as seen on the UP USRA Mikes. The company that made this in a brass detail part doesn't exist anymore, so I mounted a small piece of styrene cylinder on a drill press, and took a razor blade and lathed it by hand to give it a slightly tapered look.

Well, I should say my father lathed it. He doesn't trust me with his machinery yet.

I'll have more pictures later, but here is some pictures of the Mike.

*Please excuse the terrible photography, and thank you for putting up with it. Still working with the lighting.  :)

MJC

grumpy

Your photography is better than mine.
Don

Michael J. Caboose

Well thank you. I just can't seem to get anything decent out of this camera, and it's on the micro setting. hmm...

Well, I'm waiting on the figures to populate the layout with, workers and welders and whatnot to come in the mail. Just thought I'd through up some shots of the Big Boys and other shots.

hotrainlover

The Bigboys look really great....  I cannot tell the difference between the model, and the Rivarossi units!!

As Don stated, your pictures are good.  Cannot wait to see the progress you have made.