News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Tank engine ideas

Started by superthomasfan, January 17, 2009, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LurchBird

Big Bear, don't hold back! LOL.

I think a 2-6-2 outside frame tank engine could fit a lot of prototypes, including the puffing billy and "Bulldog Baldwins" that were common in Hawaii.

Mark

Sjack

Quote from: superthomasfan on January 23, 2009, 05:40:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, are there any narrow gauge steam dummys? ???

You bet. Take a look:

and, although I can find the picture at the moment, there was a narrow line in Cincinnati that (for a short time) used a steam dummy simialr to this Grandt Line Model:

BIG BEAR

Mark,

I do, on occassion, hold back. But I just had to let loose.
    Try "The 4 Spot"     http://www.lumberjacksteamtrain.com/    I just love this Prairie  (2-6-2).
    I have been there a couple times. Great family oriented day filled with events. We take the grandkids, they love all the different things there is to do there.
    A Prairie like this is about the only other locos I want besides my Moguls & Americans, Love them Americans.

Enjoy,
            Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

LurchBird

Barry,
my brother in law was just up there in northern Wisconsin this summer. It's an 8 hour drive for me (I'm in the Chicago area). I'd love to get up there, but I have three kids 3 and under, so we go to the Dells and the Riverside and Great Northern Railroad:

http://www.randgn.com/

Mark

Frisco

aussie30inch

hello everyone

Love the 0-4-0st saddle tank! here in australia there are a few preserved and like that one are very attractive and could make fine model prospects  ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Geoff

renniks

If you want a 2-6-2T try this.

Convert a Mogul !!!
     Top half of boiler removed under tank and old Soundtraxx decoder fitted with 1"spkr in top of Xeodon Stack. Headlight moved back  and original  domes shortened. Backup light added to bunker.
      One of the new mini decoders (Tsunami or Loksound) and spkr could be mounted in bunker.

Eric UK

superthomasfan

Mister Lee

Touching on an earlier theme, Mason Bogies are very nice engines but in practice they suffer the same problem many of us have with the Forneys.

Forneys are nice engines, but many of us On30 folk find that we lack the space to give them curvature to do them justice. That's why some On30 modelers saw off the backs of their Forneys, build small tenders to go with them, and turn their Forneys into tender engines.

Mason bogies have the same problem, only more pronounced. If a Forney would be happier with 24 to 26 inch curves instead of the 22 inch curves which many of us modular modelers possess, a Mason bogie would prefer something like a thirty to thirty two-inch radius curve.

In an ideal world, tight curves would be limited to sports cars and pretty girls. Alas, even in model railroading, it's a  less-than-perfect world.

I'd like a tank engine bigger than the Porters, smaller than the 2-8-0, and capable of tackling an 18 inch radius curve without derailing.

superthomasfan

Quote from: Mister Lee on February 01, 2009, 01:59:35 AM
Touching on an earlier theme, Mason Bogies are very nice engines but in practice they suffer the same problem many of us have with the Forneys.

Forneys are nice engines, but many of us On30 folk find that we lack the space to give them curvature to do them justice. That's why some On30 modelers saw off the backs of their Forneys, build small tenders to go with them, and turn their Forneys into tender engines.

Mason bogies have the same problem, only more pronounced. If a Forney would be happier with 24 to 26 inch curves instead of the 22 inch curves which many of us modular modelers possess, a Mason bogie would prefer something like a thirty to thirty two-inch radius curve.

In an ideal world, tight curves would be limited to sports cars and pretty girls. Alas, even in model railroading, it's a  less-than-perfect world.

I'd like a tank engine bigger than the Porters, smaller than the 2-8-0, and capable of tackling an 18 inch radius curve without derailing.

That's why I created this topic. To give Bachmann inspiration for new products. Whether they'll do it or not, time will tell.