News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale E-Z track switch

Started by scruffy19, December 21, 2008, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scruffy19

Ok, I got the Empire Builder a while back and the locomotive is a bit screwy by its self (see the topic under this). Anyway my train has serious problems running through N-scale e-z track switches it is not power problems i have terminals paced before all the switches. From what I have gathered Bachmann does not have the best switches but I have them and am stuck with them is there anyway to make them work better or do they work fine and it is my engine. Either way no offense but Bachmann needs to pull it together your HO E-Z track is great, but your N scale E-Z track stinks. Please help me get my layout working exceptionally well.

Santa Fe buff

Please offer more information. I'm guessing the Empire Builder is the Bachmann set with an ATSF steam locomotive. Is it problems with the sharpness of the turnout, or is it a derailing problem? So many conclusions and questions could be made, that I need more information.

I would love to help you, but I need more information on your problem in order to do so.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

scruffy19

Ty for your answer sorry about the lack of info. Either way i figured out the problem using a meter. The E-Z track n scale switches had some major resistance problems so I took them apart and tightened some things and poof 3 out of 4 now work perfectly. One was originally backwards  so that when the frog was lined up for straight the electricity was supplied to the side. The two other's had to be tightened and the last one is crap the wires are in the wrong places... Way to go China.

Santa Fe buff

I believe you can get a replacement switch if you have trouble with the last switch. The one with the screwed up wires.

So, this means you have all but one of your switches/turnouts working?

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

cfdfireman749

I'm having the same problem with my turnouts too, where the electricity seems to be supplied to the track opposite the one the frogs are set to.  I'm new to the E-Z track system but I do like working with it.  My question is, how did you fix the problem?  I'd rather fix it myself and know the turnout's workings inside and out than return it.

Also, do E-Z track turnouts come with shorter side track lengths?  The ones I'm using right now are right (#44862) and left (#44861).  These feel a bit limiting as with one of these turnouts and a 11.25" curve in the opposite direction, the parallel track is 3 7/8" apart from outside roadbed edge to opposite outside roadbed edge.  I can get the parallel track a lot closer if I use flex track, but I'd prefer to use as much E-Z as possible.

And lastly, does E-Z track only come in two curve sizes?  I have 19" and 11.25" radii curves, if I want anything tighter in terms of curve, would I have to resort to flex track?

Thanks in advance for any info!

the Bach-man

Dear CFD,
You will have to use flex track to achieve different radii.  Turnouts are available in standard left and right, wye, and No. 6 crossovers, both left and right.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

joe935

I have the Empire builder set and the engine isn't worth a tinkers dam. Even sent it in for repair and got a new one back which is worse that the one i sent in for repair. Get a Kato engine and things will be better.