News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track compatibility question from a newbie

Started by rjtrain, January 18, 2009, 09:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtrain

It has been 30 years and I am back to trains, my favorite N scale to be specific.  The problem is that when last I really worked with the sets, there were few track options -- so I returned to Bachmann which seems like an old friend to me. 

The problem I have is trying to decide on track type.   Does anyone know about compatibility between manufacturers or benefits between brands?  I guess that I an pretty old school becasue I am most familiar with cork bedding and actually sawing the rails by hand.  Bachmann E-Z track and Kato unitrack  didn't exist.  Any recommendations? Are EZ track and Unitrack compatible? Should I stick with my old ways? Any problems with locomotives or rolling stock performance?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

switchman

I won't say a bad word reguarding Bachmann track. It is not bad at all.

But have you considered Atlas or Kato track. You have a wider bit of choice with Atlas, not so much with Kato.

See ya
Switchman
Ya spins da wheel and sometime ya wins and sometime ya lose.

Frisco

Kato has a large selection. It is the best operational track that you will ever use. It's only downside is that it is expensive. I have not used EZ track but it dosen't look verry good. If you want to you can still go with flextrack. It is made by Atlas, Micro Enginering, and Peco. Peco and MI are by far the best especaly when it comes to turnouts. However they are a fair amount more expensive than Atlas.

GlennW

Quote from: rjtrain on January 18, 2009, 09:54:09 PM
It has been 30 years and I am back to trains, my favorite N scale to be specific.  The problem is that when last I really worked with the sets, there were few track options -- so I returned to Bachmann which seems like an old friend to me. 

The problem I have is trying to decide on track type.   Does anyone know about compatibility between manufacturers or benefits between brands?  I guess that I an pretty old school becasue I am most familiar with cork bedding and actually sawing the rails by hand.  Bachmann E-Z track and Kato unitrack  didn't exist.  Any recommendations? Are EZ track and Unitrack compatible? Should I stick with my old ways? Any problems with locomotives or rolling stock performance?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

I take it you understand about the old cork roadbed & using either flextrak or snaptrack onit.

EZtrak & Unitrak substitute a plastic base for the cork. Both use a different system to join both the plastic base and the rails.
1) AFAIK both systems use the same Code 80 rail, Atlas makes Code 80 flex & snap, Peco makes code 80 turnouts.
2) There can be some difference between the 1/4" cork & the plastic track. You may need a shim to go higher or lower. You can use the same shim if you decide to make a yard area, turntable, industrial track, etc.
3) Kato track uses a plastic clip to join base + the rail. Bachmann uses a clip for the track & normal rail joiners. You will need to cut the clips then use rail joiners for the rail. You may also need a shim for height.
4) For a small layout, Kato's Unitrack is best. You may use an oval of EZtrack to break in locos, etc. While the systems can be used on the same layout, you don't want to mix them.
5) Biggest problem with any sectional track can be the lack of components you need. Performance issues depend on curve radius issues & operating pizza cutter wheels on smaller code 55-60 rails.
6) A 15"-18" radius curve is best for modern & passenger trains. If Atlas-Kato-Bachmann don't make it, you need flex.

rjtrain

Wow!  Thank you for the input.  You guys are great!. Shims and such just seem to make it over-complicated. Based upon what you  I see hear, I think I am going to mix it up on different layouts.  Maybe a unitrack or eztrack layout to break-in the locos and let my daughter have some fun right away. I think I will stick to the cork bed that I am used to for the big layout with the major detail work on it.  Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with me.  I will post the layouts as they evolve.

Lefty

Whatever track you use, be sure you try and stay with the same "code." Several articles I have read recommend "beginners go with code 80 as it is a little heavier duty and more forgiving", not that I am saying you are a beginner. I used Atlas Code 55 on my first layout and it seemed to bow in when I was cutting the rails. Am switching to Code 80 on my new layout.

thirdrail

To add to the mix, Atlas has come out with a Code 65 track that includes the roadbed and looks much more "North American" than UniTrack or EZTrack. Micro-Engineering sells Code 70 flextrack and turnouts as well, which is what I am using.