News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 5 Amp Booster

Started by ripvanwnkl, March 20, 2007, 05:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ripvanwnkl

Has anybody tried the Bachmann EZ Command 5 amp booster? 

Thanks,
Dave
Dave
USAF (Retired)

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
I've installed one on a new display I'm building. It's easy to wire up, and it seems to work fine, but the display is too small to really challenge it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ripvanwnkl

To the Bach-man: 

I just got the 5 amp booster.  The supplied  track connector black wires appear to be heavy gauge and are bare wire at both ends.  Can I splice those to the much lighter gauge bare wire ends of the EZ track red connector wire (supplied with the EZ Command Center) which then plugs into an EZ track terminal rerailer?   

The instructional DVD with the booster does not show how the booster connects with EZ track.  The black track wires from the booster disappear behind a table and a red track wire emerges from behind the table and plugs into the EZ track terminal rerailer.   

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
USAF (Retired)

ripvanwnkl

PS:

Can an MRC 9500 analog controller be plugged into the EZ Command Center "from DC controller" port for DC control or does it have to be a #44605 Bachmann analog controller? 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Hunt

Quote from: ripvanwnkl on April 01, 2007, 01:48:37 PM
PS:

Can an MRC 9500 analog controller be plugged into the EZ Command Center "from DC controller" port for DC control or does it have to be a #44605 Bachmann analog controller? 
Do not use MRC 9500 --- use a Bachmann 44605 or 44212

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
I'm using the standard red wire to the track. No problems, but I'm certainly drawing very low amps...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ripvanwnkl

Bach-man,

Just to confirm, you attached the bare ends of the standard red wire to the Booster and the plug end to the EZ terminal rerailer, right?   

Thanks,
Dave
Dave
USAF (Retired)

Hunt

Bach-man,
For safety ----
Check and let us know what the current rating is for the Bachmann power red wires with female plug and the E-Z Terminal Rerailer track piece power connection.

Or a statement these items can be safely used at the full rating of the 5 Amp Power Booster.

ripvanwnkl

Thanks, Hunt.   You're right.   Wiring safety is the primary concern.  Bach-man? 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
I have no idea how to test wire rating, but I'll ask.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ripvanwnkl

Update: I just finished testing EZ command connected to 5 amp booster connected to HO ez track with standard red power wire.  I put all my 16  DCC with sound locos on the main track, 7 consists of 2 each and 2 singles for a total of 9 addresses.  Locos were a mix of steam and diesel with manufacturer installed sound in 7 BLI, 2 Bachmann Spectrum, 2 Lionel, 1 Athearn Genesis, 1 MTH, 1 Proto 2K, and LHS installed ESU/Loksounds in 1 Kato and 1 Jouef.

I kept all consists and singles moving independently at slow speeds, with all horns and whistles blowing and all headlights on for @5 minutes.   Made for a noisy Easter Sunday!  Couldn't feel any appreciable heat in the red power wire.  As my previous dcc/sound loco limit with EZ Command alone was 3, I was impressed with the new booster's performance! 

Dave
USAF (Retired)

Hunt

It is good to know about your test; but, do you know the most Amps being drawn during your test?

So unless you want withdraw the question, your test  does not negate  the need for an official  statement from Bachmann that the Bachmann power red wires with female plug and the E-Z Terminal Rerailer track piece power connection items can be safely used at the full rating of their 5 Amp Power Booster.

ripvanwnkl

Thanks, Hunt.  No, I don't know the max amps actually drawn during my test.   So I definitely want to keep the question active to Bach-Man for an official statement about the safety of using the power red wire at the full rating of the 5 amp power booster. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

ripvanwnkl

Bump to Bach-Man re: wire rating and safety of EZ Command red power wire from 5 amp booster to EZ track. 
Dave
USAF (Retired)

JerryB

I have no idea what the size or rating of the ". . . red power wire . . ." is, but 22 AWG is ~0.025" in diameter and is good for 7 amps. Whether it's used on DCC or DC is inconsequential for the purpose of this discussion. If the size of the wire in question is not marked or identified, just measure it. If you can't measure it, check its temperature in operation. If it feels warmer than your skin at full operating current, move to the next larger available size. 20 AWG is ~0.032" (1/32") in diameter and is rated at 11 amps.

Here are a couple of resources that show and discuss the current carrying capacity of wire:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

Remember: This isn't wiring for the space shuttle!! ;)

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources