News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switching Scales

Started by Lotta Hobbies, January 24, 2009, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotta Hobbies

Hi, I'm new here, and new to the idea of On30, so please forgive me if these novice questions have been answered here before.

I had a HO gauge layout about 1/3 built when the railroad failed (got divorced). We ripped up all the track we could and saved everything not bolted to the walls or floor.

Now I'm in a position to rebuild.  I like the larger scale for obvious reasons, but I don't know if On30 equipment will run on the Shinohara code 83 track and switches I saved.  I spent near $1000 on the track which I'd hate to have to toss, yet On30 and all the detail possible calls.  The choice is more or less settled if On30 rolling stock and locos can run on code 83 track.

Will it?  And thanks.

Tomcat

Hi there!

As the Micro Engineering Tracks on the market are code 83 (and code 70 when I got it right...), there should be no problem at all to run your Bachmann solling stock on your the Shinohara track you kept from your HO layout. I couldn´t tell about the Shinohara switches, but I´m 99,9% sure that this will work. The wheel flanges of the Bachmann rolling stock are small enough - this will do. Go ahead! ;)

And, the Micro Engineering tracks/switches would work if you need something to extend.

Kind regards,
Tom

jpipkin

You should have no problems at all.  I built a small layout with Atlas HO code 83 track with every two ties removed.

ebtnut

Just remember that On30 uses HO wheel and track standards, so any HO track meeting NMRA standards is compatible with On30 equipment.  Micro-Engineering makes On30 track with proper tie size and spacing, if you want to seek a more prototypical appearance to your track.  However, many modelers have made do by heavily weathering the HO track and burying it deep in ballast/dirt/cinders during scenicking so as to minimize the appearance of the HO size ties.

Joe Satnik

Dear LH,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. 

On30 requires wider track center spacing than HO. 

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Use "On3 centers" line of 'O' scale chart. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Lotta Hobbies

Thanks to everyone!  I'm now officially an On30 railroad (I haven't even built the benchwork yet, but soon.  As of now it'll be about 4 or 4 1/2 feet off the floor, 2 feet or 30" wide and 35 feet in length in a duck-under closed circle.  But who knows what the final plan will be?).

It WAS a sad day when I had to destroy all the work I had carefully done on my HO layout; all the rest of what went on then was a disaster too.  But economic conditions (and autonomy) have risen to new heights and transportation development is occurring on all fronts- railroads, hot rods in the garage, motorcycles, antique outboard motors, and those are just the transportation diversions.  In short, I feel much better now!

Again, thanks to all of you.