News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The New 0-4-0 Porter...

Started by Lighthorseman, March 19, 2007, 06:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthorseman

Likely this question is mostly for Mr. Bach-man, but perhaps someone else out there has the answer...you just never know.

I have an older "Clementine Mines" 0-4-0 Porter, and the plastic gear inside has broken.  Is there any chance I can fix mine with parts available now that it has been re-issued?  I don't really want to throw it out, as it has sentimental value.

Any help would be great.

the Bach-man

Dear Light,
Only the servoce department can tell you if a gear is available. Give them a call tomorrow.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Barry BBT

LHM,

If you are asking for the gear from the small gearbox, the axle gear or the cluster gear.  If your porter doesnt have the small gearbox, do you mean the cluster gear (spur and worm) or the axle gear? 

If Bachmann can't help, ;et me know.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Lighthorseman

I'm likely asking about the main axle gear.  It's a lage one with a square, rather than round, centre hole.  This attaches onto the main axle for the drive wheels.

I had heard that Bachmann offered no replacement parts, and hadn't any in stock.  Everyone has thus far said to just pitch it and buy a new one.  I was hoping that someone with a new one might have taken it apart and knows if the parts would interchange.  Ideas?

my email...   megillriversystem@yahoo.ca

Thanks!

Barry BBT

LHM,

It sounds like the small gear box gear, where the two axles come together on a square peg.  A similar set up on the front axle.  Bachmann should have that gear, but check to see if the ends of the axles are still usable with a new gear, if the square ends are messed up, they won't fit in the gear when you get it.

Worst case, I would buy it, but you may not like my price.  I am working on a replacement drive for the Porters (all of them).

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

lionel switchtrack

Why pitch it!? You could make it into a non-powered loco. OR, use it as a really nice weathered old loco either as a "prop" or use it in a train - going to the scrap yard. Just remove the "guts" so it rolls freely. There's lots of things you can do with this old unit. Just because it doesn't run anymore isn't a reason to throw it out.

Lionel