News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-0

Started by superthomasfan, January 26, 2009, 10:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevada40

Interesting fact: those engines started life as 2-4-2.

If you go to Lahaina and look at the #1, underneath the firebox in the frame is a cutout for where the back trailing trucks would go. I noticed this when I was there last summer, and on the DVD I bought at the Lahaina station, it shows #1 when the line first started as a 2-4-2. If I can figure out how to get the photos my Dad took, I will post a link to the picture on the frame.

On a second note, I would like to see a small engine like this, it would be nice for people like me who will have to build a small railroad. It would also appeal to those wanting to model the Disneyland Railroad.
Proud Volunteer at the Northwest Railway Museum
Owner of the Southgate Railroad (Fn3)
Owner of an upcoming On30 Railroad

superthomasfan

renniks

Are these ex Hawaii locos?  As below.

Eric UK

jpipkin

Eric,

Absolutely; that is an Hawaiian locomotive.  Bachmann made a large scale locomotive almost identical to it some years ago.  Number 5 is in service today in Connecticut.

Jim Pipkin

superthomasfan

Quote from: renniks on January 30, 2009, 07:52:13 AM

Eric UK

I said 2-4-0, not 2-4-2! :-\

scottychaos

Quote from: superthomasfan on February 01, 2009, 08:38:33 AM
Quote from: renniks on January 30, 2009, 07:52:13 AM

Eric UK

I said 2-4-0, not 2-4-2! :-\

just take the rear truck off!
problem solved..

Scot

C.S.R.R. Manager

Personally, I really like the 2-4-2.  I do think that particular 2-4-2 has the drivers too far forward to make it into a feasible 2-4-0.  The Santa Maria Valley Railway Historical has a very nice 2-4-0, which would work as an On30 model.

Some folks have also turned the Forney into a very plausible 2-4-0.

Manager

superthomasfan

Quote from: C.S.R.R. Manager on February 01, 2009, 11:15:14 PM
Personally, I really like the 2-4-2.  I do think that particular 2-4-2 has the drivers too far forward to make it into a feasible 2-4-0.  The Santa Maria Valley Railway Historical has a very nice 2-4-0, which would work as an On30 model.

Some folks have also turned the Forney into a very plausible 2-4-0.

Manager

That's nothing. I've heard of a guy who turned a 0-4-0 Compressed air engine into a forney.  :) ;)

C.S.R.R. Manager

There have been many impressive On30 bashes over the years, too many to list, really.  And turning a Forney into a 2-4-0 with a tender is a simple bash, compared to some.  So, why don't you try it, instead of asking Bachmann to make one?  It's an important life lesson: Instead of waiting for someone else to do things for you, do it yourself.  It may take you a few years to master the techniques, but that's the fun part, for many of us.

The other thing that you might learn, is that once you make the effort to bash the loco that you want, Bachmann is much more likely to produce their own version.

Manager

NelsOn-30

Check Backwoods Miniatures, they show a Forney conversiopn Kit on thier web site.

http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

Allamuchy Joe

Quote from: superthomasfan on January 26, 2009, 10:18:16 AM
Would it be possible for Bachmann to make 2-4-0s?

Like these, for example:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=390

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=391

Actually, you can easily make this nice looking loco from the current inside frame 4-4-0. It would be a fun project, so long as you can get past chopping up an expensive and perfectly fine engine.  ;D

C.S.R.R. Manager

Joe, has anyone actually done a 4-4-0 to 2-4-0 conversion?  That would be interesting.  The only downside seems to be that one would have to adjust the siderods somewhat, and that does get tricky.  The upside of the Forney to 2-4-0 bash is that boiler and siderods stay exactly the same.

Hmm, the outside frame 4-4-0 also has potential...  I might do a Photoshop test to see if it's interesting.

Manager

dto

Manager, remember that the outside frame 4-4-0 has solid disk drivers.  That's not very apparent if you retain the frame and counterweights, but if you remove the frame when converting to a 2-4-0 you might want to switch out the drivers, too.

I've seen a very modified 4-4-0 where the modeler removed the outside frame, replaced the solid drivers with spoked wheels from the 2-6-0 Mogul, and then tapered the boiler.  That completely altered the appearance, and I personally think the added wagon top improved the overall look -- otherwise the front cab windows seem positioned too high.  It's a lot of work, but I've seen it done.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Good point, DTO.  I was also looking at that metal boiler, and thinking how "fun" it would be to shorten that.  So far, the only boilers that I've really worked on have been plastic, like the one on the Mogul, and I for one would like to see more On30 locos like the Mogul, with a plastic boiler and minimal detailing.

But the 4-4-0 mod sounds really interesting.  Is that info online anywhere, or did you see it in person?

Manager