News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Disappointed with Bachmann.

Started by ganerd, January 26, 2009, 04:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganerd

I was hoping to use Bachmann because of the quality and pa past history with Bachmann ...

I am doing a DCC HO layout of the 1948-1953 period in GA with a control system compatible with JMRI. Central of GA or the Georgia Railroad was very big .

Southern was the state of the art train system in the US. They were more innovative than any other system. The beauty of that era, as that it was a time when both diesels and Steam ran side by side. The last steam run on Southern was 1953.

I was wanting to run a steam with freight, a few diesels of that period  to swap out on it. and run a complete Southern Crescent with full DCC also.

I was surprised and disappointed that a search for southern on your site revealed little trains, cars, buildings, typical to that period and era.

Since you do not supply what I am looking for, you are of no use to me or the thousands of modelers int the area that seek to do the same as I.
I guess I will have to order a custom done engine at outrageous prices just to get what I need. I will not deviate from my objective that most other modelers in the area seem to do.

Added 1\29\09:  No sarcasm or insult were intended...just frustrating to find that no one ever has what any of us really need. Seems like others have a similar story in other forums....

So here is an idea...whey don't they just make the engines and cabooses in basic color schemes and include a decal set for all the different rail companies that used that engine. It would allow a greater variety but at a cheaper cost to the manufacturer??? Everyone could get what they needed and with a reduced inventory for manufacturers. Or would that be to simple?

The basic color schemes are difficult to do at home and make it look professional and realistic. It would be relative easy to change the colors of horns, handrails, and and decals.

Can I get feedback on that??

Jim Banner

Have you considered modifying existing locomotives or scratch building your own  to meet your wants?  This can be a very satisfying part of the hobby.  You might even enjoy the bragging rights that come with having a unique model that you did yourself.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ganerd

Quote from: Jim Banner on January 26, 2009, 04:25:34 PM
Have you considered modifying existing locomotives or scratch building your own  to meet your wants?  This can be a very satisfying part of the hobby.  You might even enjoy the bragging rights that come with having a unique model that you did yourself.
Well I had planned to do a lot from scratch on the buildings.. but doing a complete Southern Crescent with all cars... would be a rather large task...
It had a fairly unique body style and colors and not sure where to start.

I am open to suggestions and can be contacted at ganerd@yahoo.com
Thanks

hotrainlover

Try Ebay,
I just completed a search, and found 11 (eleven) of these HO engines...  NO they are not Bachmann's, but they are available.  Why would you chew a manufacturer's  Representative for something beyond their control? 

adari

the last 2 paragraphs you said were the absolute rudest thing i have seen on here in a while. While I do like your idea for the southern Crecent. I am dissapointed in what you said. Next time give a suggestion.

Pacific Northern

Bachmann did release a few Southern Spectrum steamers. I have a 4-8-2 Light Mountain as well as a 2-8-0 in the Southern livery. They certainly are striking in their Southern Green Livery.
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Hi Ganerd,
I am only slightly familiar with the Southern Line, but if you do research about the railroad and post some pictures here, we will try to help you accomplish your goals.

In fact, to satisfy my own curiousity, I have lots of extra time and will be glad to help with the research.

For a starter, are these links relevant to your railroad of interest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_(U.S.)
http://www.srha.net/
http://www.american-rails.com/southern-railway-steam-locomotives.html

Looking over the steam roster, there are several Bachmann models that might fit your intended era. As mentioned by Pacific Northern, the Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation is excellent quality, stock number 83603.

Regards, 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

RAM

southern had the following usra light locomotives, 4-8-2, 2-10-2s, 2-8-2s.  They also had usra 0-8-0s.  The had usra copies of heavy 2-8-2s and 4-6-2s.  Walthers has some southern heavyweight cars.  Also check Con-cor.com.  Clover house.com for decals.

Terry Toenges

Quote from: ganerd on January 26, 2009, 04:01:36 PM
Since you do not supply what I am looking for, you are of no use to me or the thousands of modelers int the area that seek to do the same as I.
I guess I will have to order a custom done engine at outrageous prices just to get what I need. I will not deviate from my objective that most other modelers in the area seem to do.
Can you give me the names of the "thousands of modelers" who are interested in Southern locos? If the "thousands of modelers" contact me and are willing to make a down payment, I'll produce whatever Southern equipment they want.
It has to be thousands of modelers that contact me though, not just a few hundred. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Frisco

Bachmann makes lots of Southern models for what size of a railroad it was. They have the...
2-8-0(in both green and black)
the light 4-8-2 if you can still find it
4-4-0(again in both green and black)
2-10-2(in 3 road numbers)

BLI has their great light 2-8-2 in several road numbers painted for Southern. You can get these for a great price from Factory Direct Trains.

Proto 2000 from Walthers has a 0-8-0 that is painted for Southern.

There are also lots of diesels painted for Southern and maby a couple other steamers that I forgot. This is a lot of locomotives compared to what a lot of other railroads had so I don't think that Bachmann or any of the other companies should be picked on for this.

Yampa Bob

One of the challenges (and enjoyment) of model railroading is searching for locomotives and rolling stock to fit our roadname, theme, era, etc.  It took me almost 3 years to collect everything I need.

A good place to start searching:
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

You can't really expect a major model railroad company to make locomotives exclusively for one railroad. With the economy down the hole new tooling is a risky investment... I've heard of some possible changes in Bachmann's product line, IIRC mostly related to the poor shape of the economy. I model B&M, and I don't complain even if no major model railroad manufacturers make correct B&M Steam even if there is a large market for it.
Alex

scottychaos

I have always wondered what it would feel like to be the center of the universe..the point around which all humanity must revolve..

now i know.. 

Scot

richG

This thread sounds somewhat familiar to a thread I just saw in Trains.com forum.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/146563.aspx

Rich

nickco201

So here is what I've done with the Southern not including brass. Now some will have to be bought in unlettered versions and done up in SRR livery, I love to also really detail the heck out of them to make them more personal models and give them that southern touch.
  Bachman 2-8-0s,
  Bachmann 4-6-0 a small driver in black and then i painted a large driver version in the green scheme
  Bachmann 4-4-0s
  Bachmann USRA heavy 4-8-2 ( yes I know they had lights, but the heavy is whats avaliable and its not the that big of a deal)
Bachmann 2-10-2s
  BLI USRA light and heavy 2-8-2s
  Walther proto 2000 USRA 0-8-0

Now for brass
- PFM 4-6-2 Ps-4
- PFM 4-6-0 F series
- PSC Ps-4 ( they did almost all versions i do believe including the streamlined)
- PSC Ms-s 2-8-2s ( all versions)
- PSC Ls-1, Ls-2 2-8-8-2s

I would really like to see a Ps-4 produced in brass or plastic again, along with the K series 2-8-0s, so hopefully one day......!

I love building and kit bashing.... currently I am scratch building a coal fired 7.5 inch gauge Ps-4 4-6-2 NO joke! Will be about 12ft long and weigh about 1200lbs when done.... Not all that far along, just finished the trailing truck and getting ready to do the cylinders.

- Andrew