Bachmann Metroliners with link & pin couplers

Started by jacksonjag, January 27, 2009, 01:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacksonjag

???  About 20 years ago, I bought a 4 car consist (1 Pwd + 3 Unpwd) of Bachmann Amtrak Metroliners, from a friend. 10 years ago, I was given another powered unit (broken) & another unpowered car. They are unique in the fact they have what I call "link & pin" couplers!  Were they made for the export market, or, are they so old, they are before horn-hook couplers were invented?  Thanks for any replies!

richG

jacksonjag

:-[ Sorry, I failed to mention, years ago I was given a complete (track & power pack)  new Bachmann Amtrak Metroliner set. The cars all have "horn-hook" couplers!

Conrail Quality

Bachmann did three different runs of HO Metroliners (or multiple runs with three different designs). The first design had a can motor and unique couplers. The second design also had a can motor, but had horn-hook couplers instead. The third design was the same as the second, except that the can motor has been replaced by a notoriously poor-quality pancake motor.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

lvrr325

I believe the frame design may have changed on the last run - the early ones are prone to that pot-metal rot (where the metal swells, warps, and cracks or crumbles) - the girls who go to the shows with lots of old Bachmann stuff had a pile of old ones with bad frames.  If they do shows you've been to, you'd know who I mean - their stuff is all Bachmann and a lot of it looks like the remains of old warranty returns or engines used for parts to fix other warranty returns -

jacksonjag

::)  Got out all my Metroliners (stored for years, awaiting trackage under construction)  A total of 16, & some from all 3 variations.  Now have plenty of spare parts, as pot-metal rot did occur on several.  Can't complain, as they were a result of dismantling a friend's layout, years ago.